• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1204: How to check if head is parallel to the platen?

marco-it

Hi everyone. I've the service manual but i did'nt find how to setup the correct distance between the head and the platen. It is possible on a VJ 1204?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There's a special jig you can get that tests the carriage height. The spec is between 1.1mm and 1.4 mm in low head height mode. You can get some feeler gauges and adjust it that way. It should clear 1.1mm and not 1.4mm. That being said, this is an extremely rare adjustment to make. In 13 years working on these printers I've never had to do it other than at training. What issue are you having?

marco-it

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I know there is a jig to adjust the height of the head, however on the service manual there's no indication on how to make it phisically. There is a screw under the orange lever on the right? I didn't see nothing...
I'm facing with a strange problem... The maintenance station is fully operational (all tubes clear etc.) and only 2 months old but when I pull ink (by the motor pump or even manual with a syringe attached to the waste ink tubes of the MS) yellow and magenta are struggling to spill compared to cyan and black. I thought there is a little air leak between the capping a the head in the right side due to a misallined head...
Not only this problem... I must to change the capping station too often, it loose a good sealing in only 2 or 3 months.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I know there is a jig to adjust the height of the head, however on the service manual there's no indication on how to make it phisically. There is a screw under the orange lever on the right? I didn't see nothing...
I'm facing with a strange problem... The maintenance station is fully operational (all tubes clear etc.) and only 2 months old but when I pull ink (by the motor pump or even manual with a syringe attached to the waste ink tubes of the MS) yellow and magenta are struggling to spill compared to cyan and black. I thought there is a little air leak between the capping a the head in the right side due to a misallined head...
Not only this problem... I must to change the capping station too often, it loose a good sealing in only 2 or 3 months.

There are 2 white cams on each side of the carriage. You have to take the covers off to see them. You can move them without unscrewing anything just with your fingers. Keep in mind that they move each side of the carriage so you need to measure each side of the head gap with the feeler gauges to make sure it's level.

Do you see any air bubbles in the ink line above the yellow and magenta dampers?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Here's a picture of the cams:

Attachments

• cams.jpg
    cams.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 106

marco-it

Great! Thank you!
No air bubbles in the lines, everything is perfect sealed as I can see. Yesterday, for sure, I changed all the o-rings attached to the 2-way connectors above the head and cleaned all tubes with cleaning liquid. Dampers and its o-ring are only 3 months old and the the head is less than 2 years old...