• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vmp v2.7 software drops dongle when cutter is plugged in

sticky05

Hi all. First time user on this site... I've been in the Graphics Industry for about 20 years, and using Vinylmaster pro V2.7-with Dongle-running on XP, through a Parallel Cable, for about 9 years.
I do alot of Custom Design work so find this program has worked well for me, up until recently.

I was using the program in the morning, designing in VMP and cutting on my Roland Camm1 CX-24 Desktop Cutter, then in the afternoon, was suddenly unable to cut anything, or even send a cut file to the cutter via the 'Cutting Module', as the 'CUT NOW' box was no longer highlighted.

I closed the program, reopened it only to find that it was now listed as 'Unregistered Version'. The dongle and cutter were still connected, there had been no 'event' like a power cut or such, so I checked the status of the program in the Settings, it said the 'Dongle Not Found'.

I then attempted to re-install the Dongle and upon the 'Dongle Setup Complete' box popping up, there was another pop up box advising there was a 'Key Setup Failure' with an error saying; ParClass Error 0x37. Then another pop up box advising me the Dongle Driver has Not been Installed, to fix the problem and re-run setup.

I then unplugged the Cutter and attempted to re-install the Dongle, and it was successful. The program functioned as normal, in the Cutting Module, the option of 'CUT NOW' was again highlighted. I then selected a file to cut, plugged the cutter back in and sent the the file to cut, but the cutter immediately gave me an error; Er2 Wrong No.s.

I went through ALL of the settings, both in the Program and the 'On Board' settings on the cutter, and they all appear to be as they should be, they all match.

The Cutter WILL perform a 'Test Cut' correctly using the 'Test Cut' button on the Cutter.

At this point I tried to select a file to cut again but the 'CUT NOW' option was no longer highlighted, again. And again, the Dongle was not recognised. The Port Settings on the computer are also set correctly and are list as 'Working Properly'.

I have tried several times with no luck, to make it work and am now puzzled. mainly because, with the Dongle plugged in, the Program is functioning normally, but not with the cutter-it throws out the Dongle and becomes Unregistered.

It is also worth noting that I have tried this on Two Desktop pc's and a Laptop, with the exact,same results.

I have enquired about a replacement Dongle but have been told there aren't any available anymore?

Has anyone ever had this issue and found a solution? I would be very grateful for any info or advice anyone could offer me. Thanks in advance.

I have just purchased a brand new Parallel Cable so as to eliminate that as being a problem......Sadly the same results continue.

Last edited:
I have never run VMP, but do have years of experience in the past with parallel dongles interfering with cutting plotters interfaced via parallel cables through the dongle.

simple answer is this: Don't.

Use the proper serial cable (null modem RS232), or better yet USB cable if your cuter supports it, and interface the cutter without attaching anything to the dongle.