• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall graphic headache

Mainframe

I have a good customer who wants a big wall graphic flourish put on the wall of one of their new start ups. It will be all white, no printing, just cut vinyl, & she wants it ASAP, like today, (I normally work Saturdays) I have to use 54" so I am limited to what I have here, would 3651-G work or 3640G or 3M 180c work best? also should I lam it? & by the way they painted this wall 4 days ago (which sounds like trouble to me) In 12 years this is the first wall graphic I have ever been asked to do, I have done a lot of counter faces but they were different than a wall, more like formica or something. This doesn't need to be removable. I would really like to pass on this one but I don't want to lose any of the lighted signs etc she gives me from time to time.

Salmoneye

I don't know anything about wall wraps but I do know if it was painted 4 days ago have her sign a complete damage waiver and don't warranty your job either. 4 days is not long enough to cure.

Gary K

Salmoneye is right! The wall should be sized/primed with a semi gloss latex paint/primer and allowed to cure for more than a week. If you don't dictate the primer, there's no way to know what's in the paint. We've done quite a few vinyl projects and lot's of commercial wallcovering projects and insist on the proper prep before the graphics are installed.

Some primer Mfrs. recommend 30 days cure time.

I don't like 3M products. We use a lot of Oracal vinyl & really like it. But we've had good luck with Avery 2005EZ for walls. It's cost is in between the Oracals & 3M 180C you mention and has the air channels which is going to make the install a lot easier.

If you decide to lam, make sure you match. Use a cast lam with cast vinyl or calendered lam with calendered vinyl as the shrink rate can be different (important if you double cut/butt seam instead of using an overlap).

Last, never never use a removeable vinyl on a wall. It's usually not a matter of IF but WHEN it's gonna fall off.