• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Graphics vinyl...

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone else get tired of wall graphics? I've had several failures with wall graphics in the past and just am not a fan of doing them anymore. I rarely do them as many other local shops are cheaper for that stuff than me, but today's paint is just not conducive for wall vinyl. I know that 3m has a wall tester and I've watched the videos for how to prep and test walls, but my problem is I am too busy to stop what I am doing and go stick strips of various vinyl on a wall to see what sticks, and hate to send an employee out for such small profit jobs. I'm about ready to just start using high tack everywhere and not worrying about if they come off cleanly or not. I don't want to post the brands or series I have had failures with as I don't believe I can blame the vinyl, but I would ask if anyone cares to share what they do have luck with, I'm all ears, primarily printable.

Val47

Does anyone else get tired of wall graphics? I've had several failures with wall graphics in the past and just am not a fan of doing them anymore. I rarely do them as many other local shops are cheaper for that stuff than me, but today's paint is just not conducive for wall vinyl. I know that 3m has a wall tester and I've watched the videos for how to prep and test walls, but my problem is I am too busy to stop what I am doing and go stick strips of various vinyl on a wall to see what sticks, and hate to send an employee out for such small profit jobs. I'm about ready to just start using high tack everywhere and not worrying about if they come off cleanly or not. I don't want to post the brands or series I have had failures with as I don't believe I can blame the vinyl, but I would ask if anyone cares to share what they do have luck with, I'm all ears, primarily printable.

We do them pretty regularly. Both for new and returning clients. After years of trial and error- with a regular - repeated client... after going back and forth over who was responsible for prepping the walls in-between... after several media experiments...

our current go-to is IJ40-c. We've done 35c, we've done Mac Tac removal... this has worked very well for about 3 yrs now.

That said, anything new... we to a test with a few flavors. we will use Ij180 in many situations. The finish to the wall will be a HUGE factor, as well as - how long will they want this to be up?

can you do the vinyl/adhesive test when you measure the wall?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We run a ton of dreamscape caviar for wall graphics. It works well in alot of cases. It's not really permanent, but it is high tac. You could also try Walk&Wall or TexWalk.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We do them pretty regularly. Both for new and returning clients. After years of trial and error- with a regular - repeated client... after going back and forth over who was responsible for prepping the walls in-between... after several media experiments...

our current go-to is IJ40-c. We've done 35c, we've done Mac Tac removal... this has worked very well for about 3 yrs now.

That said, anything new... we to a test with a few flavors. we will use Ij180 in many situations. The finish to the wall will be a HUGE factor, as well as - how long will they want this to be up?

can you do the vinyl/adhesive test when you measure the wall?

We've also had good success with IJ40 + Avery DOL 2080 matte. Printed on our Mimaki UCJV so no gooey solvent prints = perfect combo for us. Really nice to work with and goes down smooth. I don't know if we've been lucky (knock on wood) that we haven't had to wrap any walls with super "cleanable" paint, but it's been working well. I feel like commercial painters maybe stick to the cheaper down and dirty paint and don't mess with all the silicone/low-voc crap. Don't quote me on that.

I definitely get where the OP is coming from - it isn't the most efficient thing in the world to have to do tests etc. just to determine what vinyl you have to use. Like Val said, you could build the adhesion test into your initial site check - get that rolling when you first get there then move on to measurements/notes etc. This way you know what kind of paint / media you're dealing with before you even quote the job.

I definitely see how this could be a pain if you're doing them all the time, but then again there is an opportunity to improve the process for handling these types of situations and just build it into the cost. If you inform the customer why you're doing it, and why they're paying for that, the right customer will understand and appreciate the effort. Think of it, you're just trying to ensure that their wrap holds up properly and doesn't fall off and look like crap. Who wouldn't appreciate that?

Personally I like wall wraps, as long as they're nice clean walls without a million obstacles. Sure is a heck of a lot easier to install than vehicle wraps!

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We do a LOT of printing for clients for wall murals and wraps. Our go too...unless otherwise specified by the installer/client...is the IJ40 Controltak with a Cast matte over laminate. Otherwise the Phototex EX is a great choice as well. Have done a number of jobs with that as well with awesome comments back from clients about its ease of install and strength over time. Its a heck of a lot better than using ij39 or DPF 8000 high tac on walls....Ouch. Due to the nature of what we do, we go with what the client wants...only offer our opinion when asked or if we think they are "cheaping out" and using an inappropriate substate for a job.

Chrxs

Hey are you aware of the oracal vinyl 638 - wall art series ? sticks very good to uneaven surfaces! I also used the 3M PVC vinyl 3690E for porous surfaces.

regards,
C

signheremd

One thing to find out before installing wall graphics is if it has been over 30 days since the wall was last painted. Many failures happen when you letter a wall shortly after it was painted - surface may be dry, but it usually takes 30 days to fully cure.

• Agree
Reactions: a77

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
One thing to find out before installing wall graphics is if it has been over 30 days since the wall was last painted. Many failures happen when you letter a wall shortly after it was painted - surface may be dry, but it usually takes 30 days to fully cure.
We tell people 6 weeks

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We've had troubles with wall vinyl too. We had been using Avery 2611 for it, but we found anything that was contour cut or not a big mural was failing. It falls into a strange category of "semi permanent", as it's supposed to last at least a year, but it's "removeable" (but not after a year according to their warranty, apparently?) So we moved on from that.

Now we use Avery 2923 Matte Cal and Avery DOL 2080 matte lam for PERMANENT graphics; it will take paint with it when it's removed. IJ180 does a good job and doesn't damage a wall or paint. Seal's "easy dot" is... fine enough for moveable graphics. eh. I know that wall tests can save a lot of pain in the future, but sometimes we're in a hurry and miss that step. We always make sure the paint is dry dry dry dry, has offgassed at least a month.

TLDR don't recommend Avery 2611 personally.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I forgot about easy dot! Whether its Seal or another MFR....that stuff is great for walls.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have a mural in our office with it....we get ours from QMLS in CT. Very stable and easy to apply. Goes thru the big latex and UV printers well...so/so on the small format latex with the heat and all.