• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Was blind but now I see

BagBoys616

Happiest new member of Signs101!

We custom paint cornhole boards, and have been using exacto knives and ink-plotted paper to cut out our designs. After taking 6 hours a board (not counting dry time) to do a 4 color 2'X4' board we decided "there must be a better way!"

There is! We are borrowing a Graphtec CE2000-60 and love the concept! we look forward to the help you all have to offer. As it stands we have the driver installed and can get an error message to show when we select the Graphtec as our printer on our computer.

With no software we come seeking advice on how to have the plotter do our exacto work for us and will be posting questions. Any helpful starting out advice is always welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

speedmedia

Welcome from Grand Rapids! Love the Oberon boards.... W where playing with wrapping some boards and thought about doing my own just never got around to it. Would like to do more but it is hard to do cost effectively after design, print etc...

Ypu got yourself a good plotter in a Graphtec. It sounds to me like you maybe are setting the plotter up as a "printer" when in fact you need to use it as a cutter. Do you have the plugin for Adobe Illustrator to cut files or what are you using?

Thanks,
Kurt

BagBoys616

Thanks for all the input! For those that didn't visit the website, it is bagboys.net, or bagboys616.com (616 - area code on phone number here in Grand Rapids, MI).

here is some of our more labor intensive work so you can see our need for a plotter!

signmeup

That Freddie one is impressive work! I use a plotter for painted work....... you're gonna love it. It saves so much time. More so if you make multiples of the same design.

CheapVehicleWrap

Wow, by hand hu? Without a plotter you're just....for lack of a better term "Cornholed". You have to send a vector file to the printer assuming your driver is setup correctly.

speedmedia

So not to be a ball buster or anything because I know someone else will bring it up, but do you have licensing agreements with these different teams and companies or are you go to do it until you get busted? Just want to be sure you are on the lookout for your own well being.

That Freddy one is bad to the bone, nice job.

Thanks,
Kurt

HaroldDesign

So not to be a ball buster or anything because I know someone else will bring it up, but do you have licensing agreements with these different teams and companies or are you go to do it until you get busted? Just want to be sure you are on the lookout for your own well being.

That Freddy one is bad to the bone, nice job.

Thanks,
Kurt
+1
I really like the work, but you could be headed for some legal troubles pretty quick.

BagBoys616

We know we've been skirting a "shut-down" for some time. We have been headed in the direction of doing work only for local companies that own their logos (Horny Goat Brewing, Jude's Barbershop, Fireside RV Rentals and a few others shown on the site - more on Facebook), and less of the university/professional team logos. Our season is done in Michigan until next Spring, so we are hoping to have the plotter up and running and we can do more family names or customize boards for each client and not use logos that we do not have the rights to - so we don't get "cornholed" as others delicately put it. :)

Freddy vs. Jason was hand painted vs. exacto'd, by a brother-in-law, not by us. He's done some other work for us too, but uses our marketing to get his products out there. I'll pass along the compliments!

BagBoys616

"How are you getting around printing trademarked items?" - Signmaniac

Would like to make as clear as possible we are trying to no-longer do the above activity, and with your help we are getting close! It is NOT a fun way to operate, and we love doing to custom work for business owners as a unique marketing tool.

Process is simple in concept. I have a friend with a blue-print printer/plotter. He prints the images, and we use masking tape and cut out the shapes. Most of the stuff is pixelized, as we are taking a 2" image to make it 19", but we fill in the gaps where we need to. Here is our process - soon to change with our plotter up and running!

petesign

I am afraid to click the link, I don't think I want to know what a cornhole board is. Is this some new form of torture device we have come up with since waterboarding is such a hot topic these days? :corndog:

*shudder*

BagBoys616

Cornhole is what we call it in Michigan - not a bad link. It is the backyard game, beanbag toss. Bags are filled with corn with an objective to have them pass through a hole on the board being thrown at.

http://www.playcornhole.org/

The "governing" body of the sport. Much like bowling in that it is a sport in which you can consume food & drink and play at the same time.

It is also known as bags/baggo/toss across.