• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding digital print vinyl vs reg vinyl?

Colin

I'm sure air release has been up here too for the same amount of time, I was just referring to that particular brand & series. 3910 will be replaced by the 3911.

Rooster

The LG 3910 is crap. Their 383 air-release isn't bad, but it's not great either. I have yet to try a media from LG that hasn't presented some kind of an issue when it goes through the heaters. Their Bannux buckles like crazy and both the 3910 and the 383 series adhesives buckle and warp more than any other vinyl I put through my JV33.

Try the 3M-IJ35. It's not too expensive and is the best thing I've tried for a good low cost calendared vinyl.

CanuckSigns

i have the same problems when using Oracal 3651, it is a bit of a pain having to "weed and poke", but I have found that if you wait 24 hours after cutting before you weed it helps alot, I know it's not always an option though.

Prairieboy

The LG print vinyl is always a problem to weed it won't release off the liner like most substrates eg.. Oracal and Mactac. I will not use LG if I need to plotter cut it is just a pain in the ......

J

john1

I found that oracal print vinyls with grey adhesive are a pain in the rear to weed and pretty much impossible lol

I switched to concept 203 which has a clear adhesive and is equal in quality and durability and have zero problems. I weed it like nothing. Hell when i do lets say 500 2" circles i can weed the whole sheet at once no problem. The same with other bulk orders for the most part that are cut to shape.

Try switching up medias or turning the heaters down or off if your doing print/lam/cut because the heat seals the cuts together sometimes i found.

jwright350

Sounds like its just the release liner problem... I can't cut vinyl as small in general on any digital stuff. If you have to cut digital vinyl, get a calendared that isn't air release for better performance.

Colin

Try turning the heaters down or off if you're doing print/lam/cut because the heat seals the cuts together sometimes I found.

I'll try that - thanks.

BTW: I find that the white backing paper results in contour-cut decals looking quite anemic, to the point where it's hard to tell that there's a decal there at all, so is there a print vinyl which has a blue backing?

General Formulations calendered cut vinyl uses a blue backing, and it is visually helpful for weeding too. I don't understand why this isn't standard with all of the various white print vinyl brands.

Colin

Could I get a reply on the above question? Is there any brand of print vinyl out there that uses a blue (or other) colored background?

I just finished manually transfering some sample decals over to some blue backing paper from General Formulations because the white b/g decals looked so lame on the white backing, but really pop on the blue.

mikey-Oh

you can print on shinerite, it's got a blue backing. though i'd only suggest that for cheapy decal stuff.
on the plus side it's super easy to weed once it's been heated and printed

Sticky Signs

Sounds like you bought your machine from Pony. Haven't tried the LG yet and honestly I don't really want to. They're suppose to bring by a sample roll for me. I've been waiting about 2 weeks now.
Definitely try turning the heat off before cutting. I'm sure you'll notice a big difference in "weedability".