• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird order scam? Anyone ever have something like this before?

Andrew Heiner

They hit up every industry. My main business is picture framing. If these orders would come thru I would be much wealthier. I email back an outrageously gross price and always state in bold letters local pick up only.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
They hit up every industry. My main business is picture framing. If these orders would come thru I would be much wealthier. I email back an outrageously gross price and always state in bold letters local pick up only.
there's a common one for welding shops asking to make some gates. It's almost become a running joke in some of the groups.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I once got three emails the same day, same exact "almost english" body message wanting design work for a new business, all had different email addresses and contacts.

Either multiple scammers trying this, too lazy to change anything, or just one that's completely and utterly incompetent. :roflmao:

JBurton

Signtologist
I once got three emails the same day, same exact "almost english" body message wanting design work for a new business, all had different email addresses and contacts.

Either multiple scammers trying this, too lazy to change anything, or just one that's completely and utterly incompetent. :roflmao:
I think it's called the spaghetti strategy. Throw it all at the wall...

Eforcer

I got a lead through my website from someone I've never dealt with. The spiel is they need some banners, ok we quote on it they want to go with option 2 and then they send us this weird logistics company that they want us to use to ship it to fairfield alaska get a quote from them and then send me a bill for the entire amount including shipping and I'll pay it. We are Canadian based so thats weird first off. I go check the website (jwlogisticservice.com ) and see its supposedly located in Pennsylvania. So I google map it and street view and its shipyard. Not whatever this website purports to be. I look further, there is Turkey area code number for contact in one spot? Then there is a video for an entirely different company (https://www.totalogistix.com/contact.html) masquerading as video about their company. The website has weird grammatical errors. I go further and see the website is registered to a "Jason Steuber" who lists his registered location at an address that is a BBQ chicken shack in Pacific Grover California (the phone number as well). So at this point I've confirmed this is a scam of some sort. So I'm guessing their scam is to get my payment information/payment to this shipping company and then they charge back their deposit or payment for the service? I'm just not going to respond to the guy again but I just wanted to post it here as a caution for anyone else and wondering if anyone had seen this type of scam before or if there is something further I should do about alerting local police or what.
Just like phone scammers, I love to keep them on the phone or drag communications by email til they figure it out. I once kept a scammer on phone for 47 minutes. When they send the call to manager to close the deal, It took him around 3 minutes to cuss me out for wasting their time.

JBurton

Signtologist
Just like phone scammers, I love to keep them on the phone or drag communications by email til they figure it out. I once kept a scammer on phone for 47 minutes. When they send the call to manager to close the deal, It took him around 3 minutes to cuss me out for wasting their time.

My current strategy, in the most genuine voice, ask them 'I'm sorry could you say that one more time?'

Humble PM

Mostly tolerates architects
Scam baiting.

My current record is probably less than five minutes before I tell then to go self reproduce.
Must try harder, but...

artifacture

It's a fake cheque scam. They send an electronic check for you to deposit, in an amount higher than your invoice, with instructions to pay their "shipping agent" and keep a little extra for yourself. However, the check will bounce, and the funds you paid out are gone.

One I received had scraped our Shopify website and created a fake order with specific items so it initially looked legit. However, a lot of the items were add-ons without the parent item, and weirdly, it somehow included our holiday items that were currently hidden from the site. I reported it to Shopify because I didn't think they should have had access to those listings.

Ldireprophil

They are at it again......

Hello,

I’m Keith Dunn, A project broker for Eastcoast Steelwork Ltd. I was at a trade show a few weeks ago and I heard positive remarks about your company, However I’d like to Inquire & purchase some Banners from your company. Below are the specifications and quantities of the Banners:

• 120 quantities of the 24’’ x 48’’ Single-Sided 130z Vinyl Banners with hemmed all sides & 4 corner grommets,

NB: Message to be written on this banners: (EASTCOAST STEELWORK LTD HONORS ALL HEALTHCARE WORKERS)

Font style: Arial,

Text color: Red,

Background color: White.

• 120 quantities of the 24’’ x 48’’ Single-Sided 130z Vinyl Banners with hemmed all sides & 4 corner grommets.

NB: Message to be written on this banners: (THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY)

Font style: Arial,

Text color: Red,

Background color: White.

Kindly advise if you’d produce labels/decals as well and below is my contact information for the quote:

Keith Dunn,

5426 Limestone Ridge Dr,

Dublin, OH 43016,

614-362-2047

Wishes,

Dunn
They had me up until almost the very end when they used the work “Kindly”, instant giveaway as a scam from India.

mbasch

I like to ask for a credit card. Ask for all types of company info etc, Tell them cc was declined. Ask for another. Tell them cc was declined and repeat until they catch on. I have been tempted to tell them the order is "ready" and just see who show up for the shipping company :)

Eforcer

I like to ask for a credit card. Ask for all types of company info etc, Tell them cc was declined. Ask for another. Tell them cc was declined and repeat until they catch on. I have been tempted to tell them the order is "ready" and just see who show up for the shipping company :)
The only wording that they fear is. We only take CASH!

OmegaSpecter

Lurking Member
That's the thing, no shipping company turns up lol