• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's your "go to " Heat Assist Lamination

StarSign

Time for a new laminator, we have never used heat assist before and I don't see much in this category. Any tips, tricks, materials out there you would recommend? Thanks

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have been using Grimco's Briteline for a while now. Works great with the top heated roller on our AGL.

StarSign

Laminates, I have a laminator with heat but we have never really used it and doing the research other then Seal no one has a "heat assist" lamination.

Reveal1

Heat assist is a low heat basically there to reduce 'silvering' you see on some (usually cheaper) laminates. Have noticed on some calendared laminates (like GF 231/240 that although they recommend cold lamination, we get better results with heat assist. Just be careful, excessive heat can cause dimensional problems on things like paneled wall graphics because it shrinks upon cooling. If it goes outdoors, we usually use cast lam anyway. We're using SEAL Base laminator, super reliable and simple.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Laminates, I have a laminator with heat but we have never really used it and doing the research other then Seal no one has a "heat assist" lamination.
Ah, I see. We have a Kayla Mistral, and it has heat assist. I love this laminator. As Reveal said - the heat helps to reduce silvering. I use it for most all calendared laminates.

I do not use the heat for cast however. Specifically 3M Ij180 and 8519. It seems to make the laminate and the vinyl weird and "gummy". I just don't like it. Great for just about everything else though.

StarSign

So you are just heating up your cold lam to get it to lay better. Do you just experiment with the temp?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It's currently at 95°. Hmm, I had it at 94° forever. You can set up to like 3 presets I think, but I usually just use the one preset the installer/trainer set it at. I'm sure there are optimum temps for various materials, I haven't really researched that yet. I just turn it on for all things calendared and off for the cast. It works, so I haven't bothered spending the time to dial in optimum. :)

Reveal1

It's currently at 95°. Hmm, I had it at 94° forever. You can set up to like 3 presets I think, but I usually just use the one preset the installer/trainer set it at. I'm sure there are optimum temps for various materials, I haven't really researched that yet. I just turn it on for all things calendared and off for the cast. It works, so I haven't bothered spending the time to dial in optimum. :)
You piqued my curiosity - Ours is on/off - no adjustment. Put my temp gauge on it and it's 115F. Didn't realize it was that hot. Right about cast; they don't need it and get all mushy.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We buy a laminator, set it to 104 farenheit (40 Celsius) and it stays like that until we get a new laminator. Had great luck with all lams at that temp.