• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which is better: Many Small Runs or Long Run of Larger Decals?

RayGun

Hey All,
I've got some 30"x3" decals I've been running in short batches of 20 so that I can handle the sheet from print (mimaki jv150-160) to laminate (easymount) to the plotter (graphtec 8600-130). While I am able to keep handling the sheets with no problem, I feel I am wasting a good amount of material in all the excess I have to add so the laminator and the plotter will work. I'd love to do a long run on a roll, but I'm unsure of how to make the graphtec stay in alignment over a long run, especially if it's on a roll. Is there a setting in Flexi to give each decal or every few decals a registration mark?

TL/DR: How to set up long runs of decals on a roll in FLEXI for separate print/laminate/cut?

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
In flexi you can choose different types of contour registration marks. Try using the Graphtec segment types.
I think you'll have to adjust the plotter so it knows which marks to look for

RayGun

In flexi you can choose different types of contour registration marks. Try using the Graphtec segment types.
I think you'll have to adjust the plotter so it knows which marks to look for
Any tutorials or videos for file set up that you know of that can walk me through that specifically? Seems like flexi only makes bare-bones knowledge available but if you want anything of actual use, you'll have to buy their training dvds.
I've got cutting master 4 and flexi 12 - file was originally built in flexi. (It's just words inside a rounded corner rectangle.)
Thanks again for the help!

C

ColoPrinthead

I print anywhere from 12" to 48" of my file and repeat it how ever many times I need with .25" gap between (eliminates the possibility that the wrong crop will be read if the media skews etc.)

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
Any tutorials or videos for file set up that you know of that can walk me through that specifically? Seems like flexi only makes bare-bones knowledge available but if you want anything of actual use, you'll have to buy their training dvds.
I've got cutting master 4 and flexi 12 - file was originally built in flexi. (It's just words inside a rounded corner rectangle.)
Thanks again for the help!

I use Flexi 10.
this video shows where the options for different registration marks are located.
The marks are specific to the type of cutter that you are using.

T_K

On our Roland Versacamm I can only get cutting accuracy for about 6-8 feet long, depending on how many cutlines there are. This is within the specs of the machine (deviation of ±0.3% of distance traveled, or ±0.3 mm, whichever is greater). Plus there's a ±0.5mm deviation on the print/cut alignment after laminating. So I try to keep my batches around 6 ft long. But I will print them back to back so I have one long sheet to laminate, reroll and send back through for cutting. It requires a bit more button clicking, but I don't have to redo the decals.