• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

which printer to buy

mikehanna1101

what do I need to look for in a printer that is primarily going to be used to print on vinyl for exterior applications. I only need a 24" as most of the projects are fairly small in size. my main concern is colorfastness in the elements.

kanini

Roland SP-300 is the entry level machine, 30" wide. Keep in mind you also probably need a laminator for longetivity outdoors. Good luck!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I would guess that 90% of the shops that buy a 30" printer wish they bought a 54" or wider printer. If you can afford and entry level 54" printer do it. You'll miss out on larger banners and having to align tiled panels adds extra labor (site signs, wraps...)

Last edited:

gnatt66

ive lusted for a bigger printer a few times...but not many. not a wrap guy though. Love my VP-300i. ive never had an issue that wasnt self inflicted.

2B

+1 think of the biggest job you have ever done then get the next largest machine.

when we got our Roland VS models we were all for the 54" as that is the most common roll size but then upgraded and went with 64" model and has been a saver more than once with that extra size.

Robert M

24"

Mimaki makes a 24" printer cutter, list price is 11,995.
all the features of the CJV30 series, just not as wide.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't trying to imply that a 30" printer is a waste of money. Just make sure you look at what you produce, could produce and the future. Large printed banners are very profitable and a lot less labor than cut vinyl. Installing tiled graphics adds extra labor, potential for misalignments and reprints.

Also be aware that if you buy a 24 or 30" printer, the printer won't print to the edge and you will lose 1.5" to 2" . It's also difficult to track perfectly straight when printing and laminating so you need that waste anyway. The registration marks for print cut also eat into your printable area. I am not familiar with Mamaki printers but on a Roland 51.5" is pushing it on print cut mode. So that is like 21.5" on a 24" printer and 27.5" on a 30".

401Graphics

You can get a Mutoh 1204 from signwarehouse at a good price (prints up to 48" wide). Some people will say dont get it because its hard to find 48" or 50" material to fit in it. But its not that hard to find. and if you had to get 54" rolls they WILL fit in the 1204 with one small modification to the media holder. I made a how to video on it the other day, Havnt gotten around to uploading it yet.