• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which RAID level is best 6 or 10?

2B

We are currently upgrading and would like to hear what others are using for their RAID configuration.
at current, we are leaning towards a RAID Level 6 or RAID Level 10

does anyone use either of these RAID configurations? if so what is your opinion of it?

we are setting up a
QNAP High-Performance 8 bay (6+2) NAS/iSCSI IP-SAN. Intel Skylake Core i5 3.6 GHz Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 10G-ready
QTY 2 SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-240G-G25
QTY 6 WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard Drive Bare Drive

greysquirrel

Just went through this decision myself last week...had a backup drive fail....fortunately it was a backup...went with a 12TB Gtech Studio drive RAID 10...cuts my storage in half but I maintain performance...that was most important to me...I can always add more storage.

oksigns

Raid 10 for speed. With the cost and capacity of hard drives these days, it's okay that I sacrifice ~3TB

WildWestDesigns

I prefer 6 RAID.

We run 3 NAS devices (2 QNAPS).

Bare in mind too, speed is also dependant on the peripherals that connect your NAS to the computer and how good that equipment is as well. Especially depending on the density of what is being sent.

I would also make sure to have UPSs connected to these bad boys as well.