• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which Switch to use?

rcook99

Currently running a Netgear ProSafe GS108 but have run out of room. I currently have an HP ProCurve 1800-24G that was given to me from a friend. Should I use the HP or upgrade the GS108 to a 16 port switch for $50 brand new? Keep in mind I just use them for internet or printer access. Any help in which direction I should go would be appreciated. Thanks,

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In your case you could probably go with anything and it will work for you. If you just need internet and to connect to the printer that is. If you have gigabit internet or want to be able to transfer large files from one computer to another quickly, you want to make sure the switch supports gigabit connections.

rcook99

In your case you could probably go with anything and it will work for you. If you just need internet and to connect to the printer that is. If you have gigabit internet or want to be able to transfer large files from one computer to another quickly, you want to make sure the switch supports gigabit connections.

Both the Netgear and HP are gigabit switches. I just want to make sure I use the right one as it appears the HP is a managed switch as opposed to the Netgear being an unmanaged switch.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Both the Netgear and HP are gigabit switches. I just want to make sure I use the right one as it appears the HP is a managed switch as opposed to the Netgear being an unmanaged switch.

Oh ok. Either should work. Managed just gives you more options to control how things connect and has better monitoring capabilities where as the regular switch simply connects devices.

rcook99

Oh ok. Either should work. Managed just gives you more options to control how things connect and has better monitoring capabilities where as the regular switch simply connects devices.

So even if I utilize the HP switch I won't be subjecting my network to any outside problems being its a managed switch vs the unmanaged switch? Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I am actually looking at a new GS116

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
I wouldn't recommend any switch without gigabit speeds. You would want to make sure your computers/file storage devices support gigabit speeds too for faster transfers, but even if they are not the switch should be compatible with lower speeds. I would also recommend going with an unmanaged switch for your setup, just takes a lot out of the equation.