• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which Version Do I Need?

SlamMan

I want to run a couple Graphtec plotters with one cutting list from one Mac running leopard. I can only figure out how to run one plotter per computer with the software that came with the Graphtec that were using now. My local dealer has suggested the Flexi-Sign package. I'm assuming this will do everything I want but could I get away with a lesser version? We do most of our design work in Illustrator. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

Color Dude

My question to you is, which Graphtec plotters are you refering to?

What is the connection method of these plotters?

What your asking can be done, but answer the questions above and lets see what your options are.

SlamMan

Sorry I left that out.

Graphtec FC7000 75 hooked up by USB although wireless by the Airport Express would be a nice option if possible.

Color Dude

How many USB ports are on the MAC? I am not counting the keyboard ports either.

The problem that most MAC users run into is there is not enough USB ports on the computer. USB is the way to go. But if you have your dongle plugged into one of the ports then if I am thinking correctly that would just leave you one port left and that would be taken by the FC7000.

In my opinon stay away from the wireless, some here on the 101 may choose this option but in my experience there is to many possibilities of data drop running a wireless system, which would result in alot of waste.

If you do end up having 2 extra USB ports then using flexi this can be done. I am assuming that the second plotter
(I want to run a couple Graphtec plotters)
is going to be a FC7000 aswell?

You just have to make sure to map the usb ports correctly. By default, the Graphtec USB port loads automatically, but for the second plotter you will have to map it so you can communicate to it aswell.

If you go through with this setup, let me know and I will help you get it hooked up and working.

There is also another option to--the first plotter could be hooked up USB as normal, and the second one can be connected using a keyspan adapter with a serial cable. The Keyspan adapter is a usb to serial connection that works very well with these sort of plotters.

OK so there is some info and options for you.

Hope this helps

SlamMan

I've got a powered USB hub so that shouldn't be a problem.

So is FlexiSign my best bet or will one of the lower level packages work? The money isn't an issue but I don't want to pay for software that I'm not going to use. Could I use FlexiLetter or FlexiStarter?

Color Dude

If money is not an issue then get Flexi Pro 8.5 for MAC, that way if you decide to get a digital printer later on, your set with the program.

If digital printing is not in your immediate future, then look into FlexiExpert for MAC. With Flexi Expert you lose some of the functions that you get with Pro, but most likely you wont need those features anyway, just performing cut jobs.

I am a Flexi junky, I like the ability to design and print and/or cut from the same software, plus it is compatible with 99% of the files you will receive from anyone of your customers.

Here is a comparison link to see what is better suited for you http://www.flexi85.com/Flexi8MAC_DS.pdf

Hope this helps