• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help White & black ink on transparent?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thanks for that.
Is that a pricy thing to add? any idear how somehow can get an idear or what it will cost
It comes with the printer if that's what you mean. But more opaque - > more ink - > more pricy.

Printer will tell how much ink it uses per job and you can calculate from that.

Last edited:

Retro Graphics

Thanks for your reply. I also heard that UV is more opeque than solvent.
1. What machine do you have? Do you know if Mimaki & Roland is the same regarding UV, regarding opaque & durability/longevity?
2. With the ink & machine you use: Have you made any test with outdoor and its longevity? How long it will last. the goal is atleast 3 years without fading, cracking etc.
3. How precise does it add the extra layers? Im guessing it will get some fade/blur effect, since its not hitting 100%. Maybe you have some images of 1 layer black & white on transparent & multiple layers? i guessing no, but have to ask :)
1. I'm using the UCJV-300-160 with a CMYKLcLmWW setup. I can't compare to any other machines as this is my first wide format printer. I chose this b/c of the cut option since I'm running out of my basement and space is limited.
2. I have a few things outside for testing, one of which is my own sign and mailbox. Wrapped them about a year ago so got some time to go still. I have heard 2-3 years for UV inks without lamination.
3. i'd say the second layer is within 1/16" of accuracy. I have a couple prints where you can just barely make out a white edge on the side but that's it. On my IG page, 8th picture in is a sample of cut vinyl on plexi next to printed layers on plexi. https://www.instagram.com/retro.graphics/

bigben

Thanks for that.
Is that a pricy thing to add? any idear how somehow can get an idear or what it will cost
Yes you can print at 260% white. I did not tried it tho because we only print white on clear. I'm sure it would be very expensive and long to print. I've sold a 5 layers job and for the time and ink consumption it take, it's not something I will sell. Took around 6 hours to print a 40sqft job.

graphtec84

Yes you can print at 260% white. I did not tried it tho because we only print white on clear. I'm sure it would be very expensive and long to print. I've sold a 5 layers job and for the time and ink consumption it take, it's not something I will sell. Took around 6 hours to print a 40sqft job.
That is crazy. I decided to look at little closer to Gerber and it might make the color opaque, but then there is the missing UV protection. The idear was it should be taking less time then making it with oracal 651 and for now it seems there is no solution for that.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Man you guys keep stirring the pot. It's not that slow if you only do 260% white, around 80ft²/hr or 7m²/hr (guesstimated).
Ink you will use for sure but not nearly as much as full coverage 5-layer will.

Last edited:

skjeflo

How many of each design are you looking to print? Exactly how fine are your lines?

I run an Epson S80600 printer at work. I know with multiple passes set that I could get a solid white down below a 1pt line. Black would just need the white printed as an undercoat first as a base, but should be easy.

Solid fine lines on clear sound like something almost made for screen printing, if the quantity is high enough to make it pay off.

Mr. Signboy

Hi

I would like to print on a transparent/clear matte laminate/film/media. But im not sure if my below requirements is even possible? Didnt buy the printer yet.
  • Print not laminated
  • Last atleast (longevity) 3 years outdoor without fade, crack etc.
  • Print white & black designs (colors arent needed) on transparent, which you shouldnt be able to look through - As if it where Oracal 651
    When printing white, then it goes on a black surface.
    When printing black, then it goes on a white surface. There should not be printet black below the design (only has thin lines)
I have been looking at "EUV Roland UV" & ECO-solvent max 3.
Seems like UV will have issues with not being laminated & ECO-solvent with the colors on transparent. But its hard for me to find info. Hope with some inputs.
I just purchased an HP800w and the white ink is pretty incredible, I used to use a Roland with white ink and they aren’t even comparable… the HP would easily achieve what you’re trying to do.