• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who wins in the white ink battle for digital printing?

artofacks1

It's just hard to get passed the binding on the dc5 or 4 series. Hopefully you find a good printer that prints white that will not give you these problems. Highly interested in knowing what you decide and how it plays out. Keep us updated!

Right , I mean banding...

artofacks1

If you plan to only use the Summa for decals using spot colors I would highly recommend it. The pass line on spot colors is barely noticeable (usually).

The "barely" & "Usually" is what scares me. I am definitely looking at spot color only, but that one project were the banding happens would suck! The "barely" can be subjective to. It might not be that noticeable to me but the client I can see making a fus over it. I searched and searched about the Edge and banding issues and haven't found anything on it.

Check this website for some more info (including plenty of posts about banding issues):http://www.digital-graphica.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=b523981af5a8dc00222b6fc31caf006c

Seems like that site use to have a lot of activity at one point. Would be awesome to find a lot of active summa dc users and see print samples.

The "barely" & "Usually" is what scares me. I am definitely looking at spot color only, but that one project were the banding happens would suck! The "barely" can be subjective to. It might not be that noticeable to me but the client I can see making a fus over it. I searched and searched about the Edge and banding issues and haven't found anything on it.

Seems like that site use to have a lot of activity at one point. Would be awesome to find a lot of active summa dc users and see print samples.

I'll see if I have a spot color print around here somewhere and I'll try to take some good pics of the pass lines.

chillGMS

The DC5 is a DC4 with a few modifications, the basic engine is the same.

The biggest problem of the DC are owners who have bought it with wrong expectations. When buying the machine after checking seriously what it can do for you or not, the DC4 have advantages in comparison to the Edge, for example cheaper consumables, depending on the models up to 8 colours at a time with automatic change, more usable media and more.

There is no question that Thermal Technology is the best means to print white. As far as more usable media, I'm not so sure about that.

You are also much more limited on the colors available versus the Edge. With the amount of colors Gerber produces, the Spectratone System and the amount of third party foils available, this really opens up the color gamut for Thermal Technology.