• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will this Roland ever live again!!

deep six

Hi All

I got this Roland Printer, was sold as is and in damaged condition, description says case busted but thats about all. I'm in the process of shipping this one back home :Australia and I'm starting to wonder if it will ever go again, fortunately I got it cheap so figured it was worth the risk.
I was thinking of ordering some cartridges for it but on second thoughts maybe it would be better to wait til it arrives and see how bad it is before spending anything on it.
I know its hard to diagnose something on a picture alone but would appreciate any feedback on how hardy these things are, and if parts are available.
Description said PO-50 but I think PC-50 is probably more like it.
Cheers!
roland.jpg

deep six

Hi Mate

Cost $100 US so far, had to get it shipped to a friends place in Kansas as the seller wouldn't ship outside US, still has to be shipped over here. Pretty cheap so far but will need cartridges etc. Just found out USPS no longer does Surface Mail so that kind of killed it a bit. Oh well, will get it here eventually and see what goes. Still have my old faithful "made in China" Creation Vinyl Cutter to play with for now!

Pat Whatley

Dude, I hate to be the one to tell you this but the ColorCamm barely worked in mint condition. Hopefully the rail is not bent and you can still run it as a plotter.

Pro Image

I think just by the Pic your probley never going to get that machine to print and you'll have one hell of a time just getting it to cut straight............

Sorry for the bad news...........

customsticker

When they were NEW at their insane price, they didn't work 100%. I'm not sure why people keep messing with these printers when so much better technology is out there now.

Craig Sjoquist

ouch ..got a PC5000 color cam I'll sell ya cuts good ...not for printing cost to much to repair.... hope ya got a roland tech near by ...for that low price, it is starting to mount tho ..a new 24" roland $1700
freedom is not free

mediaman

Do not - repeat - do not put any more money into this boat anchor. Step away from the PC-50.....slowly - now turn and run!! :)

wes70

I bought a PC 50 brandnew in 1997. The salesman convinced me it was the latest and greatest at the time. I think I paid $8000.00 canadian! Oh well, live and learn. I hardly used it for printing, the odd decal or very small print. I used it mainly as a cutter for 8 years and it was very reliable as a cutter, like I said, never printed much, but it still printed when I sold it about 1 year ago. I agree with everyone when they say to stay away from this machine. The printhead wasn't very reliable and you had to have dust free printing conditions.

If you're looking for a similar type of printer (thermal) I would suggest an Edge or Summa DC.

deep six

OK

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like this cheap printer is going to be more Heartache than its worth, I was hoping to see maybe one positive reply but looks like its a pile. Maybe someone did push it off the edge of a bench in frustration!
Oh well, live and learn I guess. I had my eye on another PC 50 advertised locally for $1650 with new print head and several spare cartridges but now I'm thinking maybe I should stay away from this model altogether.
Thanks everyone for your comments

Cheers

dswanson

sorry I don't have anything to add to the succesful reconstruction of your machine, but this may help you in the repair or may give you a avenue of getting rid of it. My employer moved from the Northwest he says that Pacific Coast Paint / Pacific COast Sign SUpply has a "boneyard" as he put it of old Roland plotters so that they can pull parts off of machines and have a stock of some of the hard or getting hard to find parts.