• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Win98 install over XP? HELP!!!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

During my recent 6 month hospitalization, I was given an approximately 10 year old Dell laptop that had essentially never been used. When I got home, I installed XP over Win2000 and immediately turned the machine into a slow clunker. It only has 256 megs of RAM. I just obtained a never registered copy of Win 98. I can't seem to get it to format the hard drive and install over the XP. The XP disc was never registered either and it has timed out on me. When I try to boot from HD I get a message that says OS Not Found. What do I need to do here? Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. when I try to boot from CD drive I get a message that essentially tells I can't do it.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i'm assuming you have a floppy A: drive, you need to make a MSDOS system disk.

then format the HD,

then install win 98

mikey-Oh

change the boot order in the bios to check the cdrom first, should give you the option for install while booting

ddarlak

Go Bills!
ntfs is what's stopping you, you need the HD formatted fat32

windows 98 doesn't autoboot setup like XP, or at least i never had an auto boot installation CD

you need a floppy system disk, boot to that, format c:

jiarby

I can email you an executable Win98 Boot disk image... the one that came with Win98 originally. You can pop in a blank floppy and use this image file to recreate the original Win 98 boot floppy.

THEN, you use the fdisk command to delete the NTFS partition, create a new partition, and format it Fat32. It's been a while... but I think the Win98 install routine will do all that for you during the install process.

Last edited:

mikey-Oh

I can email you an executable Win98 Boot disk image... the one that came with Win98 originally. You can pop in a blank floppy and use this image file to recreate the original Win 98 boot floppy.

THEN, you use the fdisk command to delete the NTFS partition, create a new partition, and format it Fat32. It's been a while... but I think the Win98 install routine will do all that for you during the install process.

this, i was thinkin of winXP

tcorn1965

Arlo,
I am guessing since it is a 10 yr old system it has a floppy drive. Go here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Click on this (Windows 98 SE OEM ) download and run program, it will tell you to insert a floppy disk (You will need an IBM formatted one)
It will write the needed files to floppy.

This is important, as you'll need access to your CD-ROM drive to do a new Windows98 install.
Once the boot disk is created, test it to see if you can access your CD-ROM drive. To do this reboot the machine with the floppy disk in the floppy drive and when the machine restarts choose "Start with CD-ROM support".
At the prompt type d: and hit the Enter key. If the machine responds with D:\> you are in business.
Next type "format c:" without the quotes (and hit ENTER).
The C: drive (main hard drive) will then be wiped clean.
Once the reformat is finished put your Windows CD-ROM disk in the CD-ROM drive, and type "D:\setup" without the quotes at the prompt (and hit ENTER).

Hope this helps,
Terry

round man

ddarlak is correct ,...win 98 will only use fat32 whereas win xp uses ntfs ,....you need to partition and format the drive when you install win 98 ,..it should be an option in the install,...