• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window graphics without silvering?

PrintItBig

Hi,

We're looking for a method that will allow us to mount printed graphics to the inside of windows facing outwards without the silvering you sometimes get from the adhesive.

I've heard a fair bit of conflicting info...

I've read on here a few times that we need to use vinyl with an optically clear adhesive for window graphics. I assume this is this to avoid the silvering from the adhesive? Does both the clear film *and* white backing need to be optically clear?

I've also heard that the above isn't true and that any vinyl can be used as long as it's applied wet as this eliminates the silvering.

And I've also heard that any vinyl can be used, even applied dry, as after a couple of days the silvering will disappear anyway.

Which is true?

We've recently done some windows and I ordered in a couple of different materials to run some tests with. I wouldn't say I was 100% happy with any of them. In the end we printed on clear Orajet 3164G and backed that up with some self adhesive polypropylene. This combination had almost zero silvering but I worry about the durability of the polyprop and it also kinks reasonably easily. Interestingly we found that the white material we backed the clear print up with had more of an effect on the silvering that the clear material itself.

Anyway, we're looking for a cost effective pair of products we can use for this. If the clear came in both a permanent and temporary adhesive variant that would be great.

Any suggestions?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
2 sided removable mounting adhesive. It is optically clear, one side permanent, the other removable. Then print on paper, display film, or some other non-adhesive material of your choice.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why are you backing your clear with PolyPro? Just back it with white vinyl. Mirror print on clear vinyl or laminate, back with white vinyl.

PrintItBig

2 sided removable mounting adhesive. It is optically clear, one side permanent, the other removable. Then print on paper, display film, or some other non-adhesive material of your choice.

Yes that's how we've done it before using this product:

http://www.drytac.co.uk/window-tactm.html

But I've heard a lot of people doing it the other way and wondered if it would be cheaper / better to do it like that.

Also, what if the client wants it to be more permanent? There is a permanent version of the above but it's hideously priced.

PrintItBig

Why are you backing your clear with PolyPro? Just back it with white vinyl. Mirror print on clear vinyl or laminate, back with white vinyl.

As I mentioned above the poly prop was the option that gave us the best looking result regarding the silvering. We tried white vinyl but it didn't look anywhere near as good.

Just wondering what vinyls people are using for this that give good results?

Bly

Nope. Waste of money unless the background is clear.
Backed with white you won't tell the difference.