• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Lettering / Window Decal Questions

player

The job is aprox. 2' x 3' with coloured lettering with a white background.

I have some 2ml cast lam to reverse print the letters, and then lam 2m translucent white vinyl over that, and install on the inside of the window...

Feasible? Does translucent white work or does it become grey? All my white vinyl has a silver backing on the reverse side.

T_K

The translucent white probably won't appear a bright white, but that depends heavily on the lighting conditions both inside and outside the window.
If you double layer the translucent, that could help with the opacity, but you risk getting bubbles in between the layers that would show up.

Other option: contact your suppliers and tell them what you're trying to do and you need a white or clear adhesive.

Any reason you can't apply to the outside of the window?

oksigns

The job is aprox. 2' x 3' with coloured lettering with a white background.

I have some 2ml cast lam to reverse print the letters, and then lam 2m translucent white vinyl over that, and install on the inside of the window...

Feasible? Does translucent white work or does it become grey? All my white vinyl has a silver backing on the reverse side.

If it's just lettering, why not just some cast vinyl cutouts?

You will want to overprint the graphics layer(per your plan) or else it can come out real light under moderate to strong ambient lighting.

fresh

i don't know why you're installing on the inside. we always install on the exterior of the window (unless there is some vaild reason not to.)

anyway, you can get a small roll of white cut vinyl to laminate the printed vinyl, and I don't think you need to use cast if its going on the inside.

player

i don't know why you're installing on the inside. we always install on the exterior of the window (unless there is some vaild reason not to.)

anyway, you can get a small roll of white cut vinyl to laminate the printed vinyl, and I don't think you need to use cast if its going on the inside.

I like prints.

Outside it is subjected to the local guy who goes up and down the street washing windows. Winter can be harsh here and then there are vandals... Inside it is perhaps more likely to succeed.

AF

Inside mount lasts much longer around here. The window washers are brutal, the vandalism is rampant, weather is harsh and that is just the first day. It doesn't take long for the vinyl to fail. Some areas are better and you can get away with mounting outside. Inside mounting (reverse) is not as vibrant from the street due to window tinting, dual glazed glass, security film etc.

Absolutely use cast. Even reverse mounted, the glass gets hot when the sun hits it and calendared will shrink a ton leaving a huge glue line or even worse (see photo)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 108

T_K

Inside mount lasts much longer around here. The window washers are brutal, the vandalism is rampant, weather is harsh and that is just the first day. It doesn't take long for the vinyl to fail. Some areas are better and you can get away with mounting outside. Inside mounting (reverse) is not as vibrant from the street due to window tinting, dual glazed glass, security film etc.

Absolutely use cast. Even reverse mounted, the glass gets hot when the sun hits it and calendared will shrink a ton leaving a huge glue line or even worse (see photo)

attachment.php

What vinyl is that? I've seen shrinkage, but that looks like it's at least 1/2 inch!