• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window security film install

bigben

We do quite of share of frosted vinyl install (almost 50% of our install). I've been asked a few time for clear security film and always turn down those jobs. But now, a long term customer is asking and I'm curious to know if we could go in that market. From the specifications, the material is 8mil or 12mil thick. I've looked at some videos on youtube and the basic install technique seems to be the same as frosted/tinted film. My main concern is the thickness of the material. I assume it would be almost impossible to oversize the film and trim it after the install? Is there any other things I should know like the pressure of the squeegee and do I cut the material a bit smaller than the window, etc? For some reason, I got the feeling this kind of material can be a lot of problems to install.

Thank you for your advices. Ben

tulsagraphics

Yep, I looked into this too because I had a huge (and potentially very lucrative) job to bid. I spoke to the lead developer at a door and window company about it (a customer of mine that specializes in govt./institutional work). He said anytime they install security films, they add the film prior to installing / replacing the glass -- not after -- because the film edge is supposed to be secured behind the mullion and rubber seal. My guess? Part of the film's durability comes from the window frame itself.

Anywho, that's what I got from it. I didn't bother to research beyond that, so ya know... take it with a grain of salt. :)

Jharris81

Really depends on what type of windows they are. If they are the commercial aluminum channel style you will need to pull all the gaskets, install the film as big as you can get it but not bigger then the glass size cause it will cause some issue with it laying down properly, reinstall the gaskets and let it cure for a few days to a week depending on temp. Come back, remove the gaskets and install the anchoring which would be DOW 995 structural adhesive. Without the anchoring the security film is just safety film at that point. Lots of info on the web about installing it. First time doing it is a mess. Lots of masking tape and rubber gloves.
Also you need to get a big red squeegee and go I’ve at least 2 times if not three. Because of the thickness it takes forever for the water to cure out. You need to get every bit that you can out from behind the film that you can. Normal soft squeegees with be useless for security film.

Jharris81

Security film does not mean that no one can ever get in. In all reality it is slowing down someone breaking in or trying to get access to a building or even deter them from making it all the way through. Adding securing film is not like the movies where someone is standing on the other side of a window while an intruder is unable to get to them because this piece of magical glass is unbreakable. With enough effort the film will tear and will give in. Thickness of the film and anchoring will designate how long that takes.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We had to install some blast film that also had a mesh to stop cell signals going in or coming out (I don't remember which) for a federal 3 letter agency. Had to watch some install videos they provided, it was laid out step by step. How much of a gap all around. A specific sealer/adhesive that had to have the correct bead size to bond the tint to the window - gasket and aluminum frame. We even had to buy the required sausage gun and tip to get the bead right. Gun was all metal tube about 2 feet long that got heavy as hell after the first 10 - 15 windows. Not a fun job but it went well enough until the 30-pound calking gun fell - bounced off the drop cloth and managed to discharge a good deal of the bomb-proof indestructible sealant onto the newly laid carpet. I don't bid on any more of those jobs - still have the caulking gun.

Jharris81

Well coming from someone that lays window tint, security film, vinyl graphics, installs remote starts and installs car stereos, people can be good at a lot of things, not just what their company started from and people grow their business this way. There was a point were people didn’t know how to do the job they are doing now. May be rocky in the beginning but you over come that and become bigger and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigben

Well, I will have to make more research about the subject. Thanks all for the informations.

Dan360

This has come up for us before and we were told that the supplier would not warranty the film (which was very important to the client) unless it was installed by someone specifically certified in security film installation.

ikarasu

One thing to also consider is that if you are not certified it might be a liability issue. One of our clients wanted it also, 3M would not even sell it to us and advised we speak to our insurance to see if it would be an issue to install it... Which of course it was, they even went so far as to tell us if they find out we install it our policy would be canceled.

Things might be different down south than in Canada, but you should definitely look at the liability issue.

3M recommended we installed they're thick anti-graffiti film, they even implied it was pretty much the same thing but marketed for graffiti instead of security... It was a close customer of ours that did not care and we went ahead with it. So if you can't get security film... Look for 3m ag6.

It's marketed as a shatter resistant, anti graffiti film, with no restrictions on who can buy it or install it. It might not be as good as real security film, but in my opinion is just like a door lock.. it keeps honest people out, and makes it a bit more difficult for people to get in so maybe they rethink it.