• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 11

Vassago

They said Windows 10 would be the last one....they lied. Now Windows 11 will be coming out. I just got used to 10 (after 5 years). Yall keep this in mind if you are about to make new computer purchases.
Its going to be software as a service so you'll need a subscription plus you'll be bombarded with adverts. Linux is much better - if more people used Linux and pushed the software houses you'd have all the usual programs on there.

newparade

Vista? XP? Windows 3? Why stop the regression there? Go back s'more! Back in MY day, we didn't need no megabytes or gigabytes! Didn't even have to start up or shut down! Just hit the power switch and you're ready to go! And when you're done, hit it again and it's off and you can go about your day, folding up your tractor-fed, perforated PrintShop banners to deliver to your... wall. Yeah... screw these OS updates! What do we want? AN END TO INNOVATION! When do we want it? FOREVER!

View attachment 154011
LOAD "*",8

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

WildWestDesigns

Its going to be software as a service so you'll need a subscription plus you'll be bombarded with adverts. Linux is much better - if more people used Linux and pushed the software houses you'd have all the usual programs on there.
Feels strange not being the first one to talk about Linux in a Windows thread.

I do agree with you, OS compared to OS, Linux (especially today) is better then Windows. Windows does have a distinct advantage, but it isn't due to how much better Windows is in of itself, but what vendors have chosen to support, be it software/firmware and/or hardware. Linux has been my exclusive bare metal OS since 2015 (I do have VMs of Windows for either MINGW (although I can cross compile on Linux and may do that since Win 11 has certain things that I don't like) or retro games (retro as in had to still use the CD after installation for the assets (although I put them into ISO form now))) and no that date isn't a coincidence and have used Linux in some form for much, much, much longer then that.

There is, unfortunately, a "branding" problem and the normie computer user still thinks of Linux as Linux of the 90s, when that just isn't the case and that is a tough one to get the normies around. And if "you" (general "you" Texas) can't get the normies to change, very little hope of being able to get the vendors to change. There are users on here that have more knowledge then the average normie and still think this way with regard to Linux.

On one hand, though, I'm kinda glad for web technologies being used for app development (although I prefer Webview to Electron, but I digress) as that makes it easier for cross platform deployment for one or at most 2 code bases (one for desktop, one for mobile) compared to 5 different ones when targeting nothing but native on those platforms, especially without using a framework like Qt("cute"). "You" have PWAs as well, but FF made the mistake of deprecating/removing PWA support in the browser even though it has been standarized, although personally I'm not a fan of those versus just bundling a Webview app and having it all local (even the pages/assets that it serves is embedded in the binary). If WASM gets beyond the MVP stage, that will really allow for near native performance (although JS is ironically blamed for bottlenecking that it really isn't responsible for in more instances then people realize) as that is how we are able to have Autodesk in the browser.

That's about the only thing that I can tolerate the whole web-based subscription model. What platform "you" choose to run makes little difference at that point. While I still wouldn't partake in it, I don't like the notion of "you will own nothing and be happy" and while most software that we use, we never truly owned it, we did have far more control of the instance of it that we did pay for. I find it disturbing that so many people are willing to go that route of subscription based (willing may be dubious, but even if someone complains about it and still shells out money for it, I consider that as willing because even though "you" may not have liked everything about it, "you" were still willing to give up your money for the product).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's not going to support Intel processors before 8th gen. All you guys running old XP and Windows 7 computers are out of luck! Not that you're the type to upgrade anyway :D

WildWestDesigns

It's not going to support Intel processors before 8th gen. All you guys running old XP and Windows 7 computers are out of luck! Not that you're the type to upgrade anyway :D

That requirement is actually the least restrictive. It's the others that would be more of a concern. Sometimes they may be fulfilled, but the user has to go into the BIOs to make them active.

With the mentality of "you will own nothing and be happy", people not always wanting to upgrade won't be much of an issue as they will kinda be forced to upgrade regardless if the device is still good or not (I wonder why the environmentalists aren't going after this if they are THAT concerned about the environment? Although I do believe that there was a letter from MS shareholders wanting MS to do more in that regard (I think of it more from a right to repair angle, but it works for that as well)). Why I don't like smart TVs etc. I would rather get a "dumb" TV and put a NUC on it or a PI and make it "smart" that way (and I can make sure it still gets updates and what updates it gets at that). But I digress.

I iwll let everybody else beta test it before I install it.

The way that Windows is now (and has been thru the entire Win 10 run), it is technically in a perpetual state of beta (have to remember MS no longer has their internal QA team as well) as updates are rolled out more or less as soon as MS deems it appropriate to do so. Even issues that have been flagged in their Insider Program, due to how things are pushed through, still make it in to the "stable" releases. While that is true with anything software related, the fact that updates are forced and users have to get updates, regardless if able to defer them for a time or not, mitigates my sympathy with MS and updates and make it beta as it is essentially rolling release.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
What module is that, front facing cameras or 6gb ram sticks?
I must say I don't get it why he just couldn't say.
But as I saw it already few days ago, it was some Gigabyte add-on TPM module.
As it seems like Windows 11 requires TPM and some hype people of course went to ebay and bought a few of them.

Why not add a little more to the discussion before. I like Windows more than Debian that I have to spend a fair bit of time with.
It just always, always seems like I have to dig up the terminal and find some solution to weird problems. There is no way the average joe will touch unix as long as it's not user friendly enough.

I for one think I will upgrade to 11 when it comes out. Really no reason why not to for my personal use.
Business side on the other hand won't be updated on day 1.

Last edited:

unclebun

The good thing is Windows 10 doesn't reach end of support until October, 2025. So you have lots of time, even if you don't have TPM on your computer.

WildWestDesigns

I must say I don't get it why he just couldn't say.
It was more about the price hike then it was the name of the module.
Why not add a little more to the discussion before. I like Windows more than Debian that I have to spend a fair bit of time with.
It just always, always seems like I have to dig up the terminal and find some solution to weird problems. There is no way the average joe will touch unix as long as it's not user friendly enough.
Debian is not a distro that I would suggest for a newbie. Not really for a desktop usage either. People use it as a desktop OS, but like CentOS (well, maybe Rocky or whatever is to take the place of CentOS since IBM killed it) and RHEL, it's better on the server then it is on the desktop. There are even caveats for those that use LMDE in that regard as well. Not talking like Arch here (which I wouldn't suggest), but I have rarely HAD to go to the terminal for anything at least as far as fixing something that came from an update. Update issues do happen, but rarely do I have to go to the terminal to fix it. But then again, I don't consider that any different then people going to redit to have to fix issues on Windows either.

Although, I will say this, regardless of what people may think, they may like the mouse over the terminal, the terminal is still the most efficient way to get things done. Mass exporting of files (for programs that also accept terminal usage), regex and then importing into SQLite db or even filesystem management all easier in the terminal. People just got used to the point and click method.

elementaryOS and Mint (not really a fan of both, but I will use Mint in a pinch, it's OK, but not my cup of tea) try to abstract the need for the terminal (while you go Arch even the installer is CLI). They don't hide it or bury it deep within the OS like I swear Windows tries to do with even just the simple settings changes, but it's not front and center either like some.

I for one think I will upgrade to 11 when it comes out. Really no reason why not to for my personal use.
Business side on the other hand won't be updated on day 1.
Personal use go rolling to one's desire. It's just not an Enterprise OS anymore. Especially if they keep the Win 10 concept of each major version only being supported 18 months after release (not after you may have installed it, but after it was released). Hell, they are on track for Fedora at that point (13 months EOL).

The good thing is Windows 10 doesn't reach end of support until October, 2025. So you have lots of time, even if you don't have TPM on your computer.

Just hope that they don't try to do the same thing that they did for Win 7 and 8.1 users with the Win 10 nag. Which in this instance move people off Win 10 and onto Win 11 before they may have been ready.

WildWestDesigns

So, MS removed the checker tool. Needing to improve customer experience or too many people finding out that their computers are not able to upgrade?

Bare in mind, depending on where "you" got "your" new computer, could have bought one relatively recently, but still have older hardware in them. Typically "your" off the shelf pre-built computers.

Now, I did also notice that it looks like MS is toughting VBS as well and that's part of the reason for these requirements. Have to be able to to handle hypervisors (those that just "love" VMs are going to love the extra resources that this is going to bring about, sounds like the same move back in the Vista days when audio is going to be handled thru an emulation layer versus directly by the kernel (something that still goes on today)). Pros and cons like always, but that's what it seems like they are heading.

However, the limitation for this on 8th gen Intels is somewhat fuzzy. The 6500s support everything that VBS appears to need, from what I can tell. Now something like the 4440 does not, so that would seem to be a good cut off, but why isn't it?

Seems like the interest is only something that is new. I'm speculating, but that's how it appears to me.