• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wondering if anyone has tried printed out menus for a restaurant?

0igo

i guess this is a two part question..one is what material would i use and 2nd is how can i get my printer to print out double sided? any suggestions on either question? thanks.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
How many?

if not too many, I would print both sides separately and spray mount the back to the front...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Check some of the gloss & matte cardstock for eco sol they have over at Graphic Resource Systems.
I got the sample pack and it looks pretty good (the samples are Mutoh eco solvent printed).

I'd print them in one piece with the back flipped up over the front so you could tent fold them to get a 2 sided card.

wayne k
guam usa

TimToad

Check some of the gloss & matte cardstock for eco sol they have over at Graphic Resource Systems.
I got the sample pack and it looks pretty good (the samples are Mutoh eco solvent printed).

I'd print them in one piece with the back flipped up over the front so you could tent fold them to get a 2 sided card.

wayne k
guam usa

Bingo!

I would lay them out on the same artboard but opposing each other. Print the whole thing, crease the middle, then spraymount them together and then trim them nice and clean in case you are a little crooked.

Or just take your file and paper stock to somewhere that has a laser printer able to print on both sides. If not, run them through your own desktop printer one side at a time.

TXFB.INS

we have done menus before and the easiest way to to them is print to a heavier stock paper and then pocket lamination them.
That way they are in a sealed pocket so easy to clean and safe to get wet.

instead of creasing them, move to large piece of paper, say a 11 x 17 with a 2 sided imprint should handle all the information you want.

0igo

wayne k
guam usa

i cant find the card stock material ive looked all over their website. i think it might be deadstock now.

Outsource

We once have designed a 10 page menu in 20 copies, and then we sent the print to a print shop that has a dry toner printer and have it printed in a 100 lb cover stock then cut to size using stack paper cutter. The client have their own folder with sleeves so no need to laminate the print. Process went fast then we moved on to the next project.

Any print that fits 12x18 inches we send it to a colleagues print shop to print at a very low cost (due existing business relationship), the same way if they get jobs that requires to be printed in wide format they forward it to us.

edit: (corrected 300 lb to 100 lb) wow i put 300lb stock i guess that is wayy to thick maybe i wast thinking of GSM when writing.

oksigns

I send this out whenever possible, but if done in-house, I try and upsell on paper. We would have sample books from Neenah and Mohawk to FiberMark. There are so many options! Will it fit in a sleeve or stand alone?

Mohawk has some great durable water resistant stuff if it will be used as standalone leafs. If used as inserts, you can use a 80lb to 110lb book and make sure the paper has a good white-point as it may be read in low light!

mpn

We once have designed a 10 page menu in 20 copies, and then we sent the print to a print shop that has a dry toner printer and have it printed in a 100 lb cover stock then cut to size using stack paper cutter. The client have their own folder with sleeves so no need to laminate the print. Process went fast then we moved on to the next project.

Any print that fits 12x18 inches we send it to a colleagues print shop to print at a very low cost (due existing business relationship), the same way if they get jobs that requires to be printed in wide format they forward it to us.

edit: (corrected 300 lb to 100 lb) wow i put 300lb stock i guess that is wayy to thick maybe i wast thinking of GSM when writing.

This or Royster's suggestion

highplains

I print mine on a 67 lb card stock, laminated in 3 mil hot laminator and fold while hot . printed on both sides, two sheets and it has laminate completely surrounding the print. Very washable for sanitation, and durable. I have some laying around 4yrs old. Most restaurants need to update menus every 6 mos to a year. I print mine in a canon 9000 inkjet. It's pretty hard to make money doing menus, set up is a butch and you don't get to make any mistakes.

The Hobbyist

i guess this is a two part question..one is what material would i use and 2nd is how can i get my printer to print out double sided? any suggestions on either question? thanks.

Gosh ... so many variables to consider.

What TYPE of restaurant is it? If it is a 50's Diner, the menu will look different than if it is a high end steak house. Things like colors, paper choice, lamination, etc. will all come into play. Some menus are not laminated. Since they ARE menus, the ink must not smear or run if someone drips water onto it.

You will have to get with the owners to decide FIRST on the size of the menus. Most menus are 11"x17", either folded in half or thirds.

DO NOT rely on your printer to print double-sided. There is too much that can go wrong with alignment, ink smears, etc. Print all of one side, flip the stack, and ten print the other side.

What program do you plan to use to lay out the menus? Will they contain photographs or graphic images, gradients, halftone images, or will they just be TEXT, like the menus in most Chinese restaurants?

So tell us what the project is, the menu size, the theme, and all of the details. To just ask about a generic menu solution is like asking someone how to bake a cookie.

highplains

If you are working for a high end restaurant you will want quality cover paper done on an offset printer with gloss uv coating. If it is a greasy spoon restaurant and you are doing them a favor they can turn out nice and you will all be happy. Just go with your gut or nothing ventured nothing gained, just don't do regrettable things. A little OJT never hurt anyone.