• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 and printing on magnets

mikalh78

Hi so I am trying to print onto Magnum Magnetic's Digimag 30mm magnetic material but everytime I try it, it doesn't look sharp rather it looks fuzzy.

I am currently using the following getting

Printer:
Preset: Magnetic
Head Height: high

Software (Versaworks):
Media profile: DigiMag30M_XC540_MAX_2x6_VWorks_720

Has anyone successfully printed on magnets directly and it produces sharp results?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I never recommend printing directly to magnet on these machines as a head strike is much more costly due to the rigidity of the material. That being said, the maximum thickness of material that machine can successfully print on is 1mm or 40mil. The XC-540 is just not made to print on material that thick which is why you are having an issue with quality. I recommend doing it the old fashion way and print on vinyl then mount it to the magnet.

wabam

Can you lower the head height & it still clear the material without a headstrike? I would try that.

I also prefer to print to vinyl & mount.

mikalh78

When printing with that media setting it brings the head out and asks you to set the head height to 'high' before printing.

No worries I will stick to printing to vinyl and then mount it to the magnetic material. :)

niksagkram

I have never had success printing directly to mag with the xc540. The magnet tends to stick to the metal surface of the print, and is heavy, causing drag, hence poor print quality.

Just print on vinyl and apply to mag. No worries. :smile:

Mark