• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XP reinstall issue

GVP

Greetings!

Back in 2010 we purchased a computer from a local company no longer around. At the time, it came with Win7 pre-installed but we asked for it to be downgraded to XP primarily because of existing software. The downgrade was, if I recall, offered by Microsoft at the time when Win7 came out. So, since purchase it has been running XP.

As we have been having some issues, I decided to do a clean XP install. The tower has a Win7 COA label, as well as a little label that some number on it, inc.'7XP' - I assume this is something to do with the downgrade. It doesn't have an XP COA.

I used a utility program to retrieve the XP product key. However, following the clean install (we had an XP Pro disk) I tried to activate the fresh installation, but the product id number is now reported as invalid.

Not sure where to go from here - any suggestions appreciated. I'm hoping not to have to buy a fresh copy of XP.

kffernandez

since you seem to be very conscious about having a legit license, i would recommend contacting microsoft help and explaining the situation. i'm sure that if the past downgrade was legit, they will definitely clear things up on the information you need to reinstall your winxp properly.

kelly

visual800

You should have done a reformat and that serial number will not matter. I will be suprised if Microsoft even cares about XP anymore. Reformat the whole computer and then reinstall. Cut updates off and you wont have issues

round man

you state you used an xp pro edition,...I would check and see if the edition previously installed might have been a home edition thus it would validate if the serial key were correct,....

SignBurst PCs

In order to use the Windows 7 downgrade rights, you can install XP using genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro and ANY genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro product key.

Most of the time, it will just activate. But in the event that it does not, you should call the phone number that you get at the activation failed window. Explain that you are exercising your downgrade rights and they will provide you with a VERY LONG number to activate the software.