• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help XR-640 just decided to drop light cyan on my second head...Any solutions?

Caw

Minister of Percussive Maintenance
So one of my rolands is giving me trouble. Both are getting a bit long in the tooth so I figure I probably have a bad head...but I'll take any advice if someone has a solution. I've already cleaned the head, checked the ribbon cables, looks like the head is attached to everything properly...I've been having some issues with blurry prints with small type too but I could squeak by until now. Now my colors is all thrown off...wish I could just disable a head and keep rolling but alas...I lack that kind of know how. Any help appreciated!
LightCyanMissingHeadB.JPG

Caw

The cap tops have been replaced in the last 6 months but at this point it can't hurt, I'll see if I have an extra around. I will check and see if I can even get to the dampers(weird head integrated dampers).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I wouldn't be surprised if there was air in the line. It's probably a bad damper or air leak. Make sure the lt cyan cartridge actually has ink in it. Sometimes it will not flag properly and cause pull back on the system.

• Agree
Reactions: Caw

Caw

Ok, so the dampers are a completely different style than I've dealt with: they are on the head itself and require you to take apart the top of the head to get to them....I'm being told by 2 techs that changing them requires you to "chuck the heads" since they're under pressure or you get a mess all over your electronics. I'm sure that process would be a bit much for me....Fantastic, thanks Roland for yet another fun feature you've made impossible to fix without a tech... but I guess techs gotta make a living too....lol..

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Ok, so the dampers are a completely different style than I've dealt with: they are on the head itself and require you to take apart the top of the head to get to them....I'm being told by 2 techs that changing them requires you to "chuck the heads" since they're under pressure or you get a mess all over your electronics. I'm sure that process would be a bit much for me....Fantastic, thanks Roland for yet another fun feature you've made impossible to fix without a tech... but I guess techs gotta make a living too....lol..
To get around that, you can drain the lines, that way there shouldn't be much of anything left in the dampers, although I recommend flipping it upside down when removing so if there is any spill it will fall away from the head, but at that point, you might as well just change the dampers afterwards.

Zoogee World

Not sure if you can do this with the XR-640 or not, but you might be able to connect a syringe to the line after the cap top to see if you can pull ink through before you go through the process of replacing the damper.

Caw

Not sure if you can do this with the XR-640 or not, but you might be able to connect a syringe to the line after the cap top to see if you can pull ink through before you go through the process of replacing the damper.
On the older ones, yes. This one....can't even get at the damper without some pretty extensive teardown by my non-tech self...I like to older simple systems were you could actually tear in and have a change at getting somewhere. I have a couple hunks of junk I run and at least I can keep the old stuff going... not well, but going!

Zoogee World

On the older ones, yes. This one....can't even get at the damper without some pretty extensive teardown by my non-tech self...I like to older simple systems were you could actually tear in and have a change at getting somewhere. I have a couple hunks of junk I run and at least I can keep the old stuff going... not well, but going!
Without touching the dampers right now, can you get access to the lines after the cap tops? If so, you can un-connect it from the pump and connect a syringe to that line and see if you can pull ink through, that is a good sign that it's not the head and that it's most likely the damper that needs replacing.

• Agree
Reactions: Caw

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
The cap tops have been replaced in the last 6 months but at this point it can't hurt, I'll see if I have an extra around. I will check and see if I can even get to the dampers(weird head integrated dampers).
Have you cleaned the dried ink off around the edges of the cap tops recently?