• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yellow ink cartridges not registering?!!

signstation

If anyone could help with this dilema I would be eternally grateful!
We are running Qty2 JV3 130spII's in our shop. The yellow ink cartridge ran out in one machine and I replaced it with one off the shelf (in date still) and it is not registering it. I then took the other cartridge from the other machine, which still had level 6 in it and it registers that just fine.
I then took another new cartridge (in date still) off the shelf and put it into the machine that originally had the level 6 in it. Doesn't register on the other machine either?!?
The level 6 (half used) cartridge works fine on either machine and registers fine.....what is up?
I have cleaned the sensors on both machines and cartridges and have no joy.
I have even requested Grimco send me one with a COMPLETELY different lot#, we got that this morning and still no joy.
Also the arm sensor that checks the ink levels are fine and not broken.
Any ideas? I'm stumped.

CS-SignSupply

Defective chips or the location of the chip is slightly shifted.

Are the chips attached to the cartridge with a screw, or do they snap in place?

Of all the ink we sell, not Mimaki OEM, the one unit that continues to give us chip read issues on occasion is the JV-3... not the JV-33 or other brands. ONLY THE JV-3

signstation

The chips on the cartridges are screwed in place and all are in the correct position. What are the chances of 2 machines chip sensors going down at the same time? and on the same color.

CS-SignSupply

Not likely in my opinion.

Take the yellow chip off and put it on another color cartridge and insert it... if recognized, it should prompt you about wrong color.

If it still doesnt read the chip, then you know for sure.

genericname

I've had exactly the same thing happen, and both suppliers and manufacturers have refused to take responsibility, stating simply that the printer doesn't actually write information to the chip. Even so, if it were an issue on the printer side, then the second printer would read the ink levels properly, where the first one failed. So yeah, faulty chips.

This was really commonplace last year, and getting sick of returning faulty carts with half their ink in them, I started swapping chips. When one cart falsely read as empty, I would swap the chip with one that had physically run out of ink. The printer then thought it had an extra 30cc to work with, and so long as I kept an eye on them, I could keep doing that with the carts until they actually were empty. Seems like a hassle, and it was, but not as much as stopping production to wait for a new order of ink, when you know you're sitting on a ton of it.

signstation

O.K. so we have come to discover that grimco have been supplying us with SS21 cartridges (for JV33) instead of SS2 cartridges.
Come on Mimaki, if the cartridges are only suitable on certain machines can't you package them a little different, more than just a one digit difference?!!!! The cartridges are identical other than that.

signstation

Yep thats the extent of it.
But, here's my question....why are they so similar to begin with?
Even if they were color coded for the individual machines maybe?