• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zund G3 vs S3 Cutter

visiongraphics

Trying to make a decision on the right Zund cutter for my business. Currently we only print on 54 inch media and I'm debating between the S3 and the G3. My business is made up of approximately 70% small laminated decals and 30% banner / PVC signage (4x8 sheets-mostly small signs). From my understanding the S3 is a faster machine for decal production yet the table doesn't come as large which I feel could be a drawback for our larger signage.

The original configuration I was envisioning was 70”x125” G3 with a 5 foot table extension. We picture running 4-5 foot sections of decals at a time. When the decal section was done cutting it could then be pushed to the extension and picked or sorted as machine continues to cut the next 5 foot section, so on and so on. Most of our PVC jobs are small signage so envisioned a similar process where it would either cut half a sheet at a time then advance to the extension or juts cut the entire sheet at once. When it comes to banners we mostly do 6-10' length so the G3 could handle all cutting without needing to advance the material to complete the job.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Does the G3 sound like the right choice for my business or does the additional speed we would pick up from an S3 make up for the short table length?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any advice on the most efficient process would also be helpful.[/FONT]

scott pagan

we have S3s here (L1600 70" x 64" tables). they're great machines. you can control material and table advances in the software to fit your workflow, so both options you described are possible. the software is also very good at running the plotter in an efficient way to factor time and material feed on the table. our older plotters and software did not have features to keep vacuum table feed settings so media wouldn't fall off or have proper suction during odd sized table advances.

visiongraphics

Curious if you have table extensions? We are leaning towards no extension and just using a separate table to catch completed decal / signs.

Do you think this could cause any issues for small decals or more importantly 4x8 sheets of small PVC signs or larger banner runs?

scott pagan

we do not have the zund extensions. we built a few large pre- and off-load tables with wheels so we can roll items from our print shop over to the plotters and hand load sheets, on from, and off to the separate tables. both tables parked in the front "takeoff" area of plotters. then roll outgoing items to fininshing/packing/shipping area.

for small items setting up file cut & table feed with delays, will assist you in not having a ton of little pieces fall to the floor. for long multi table feed items having the operator assist in off loading onto the tables helps (can also allow to drop onto floor if very long).