• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Losing characters from Illustrator to Flexi

jimbug72

Brand new to Flexi with the HP Print and Cut system. In the past we were Illustrator>Cutting Master on our Graphtec. We've been having issues with random characters (so far only numbers) disappearing in Flexi. If the type is left live, on a couple of project NO numbers come through. I had some store hours door lettering where I had converted all of the live type to outlines, but only random numbers would drop. The address number was 328, only the 32 imported into flexi. What was even weirder was the hours. Random 0's dropped out, but not ALL of them. The hours were 10:30-6:00 & 11:00-3:00, What imported into flexi was 10:3 - 6:00 & 11: - 3:

Any help appreciated!

Broome Signs

Hi

Don't know what version of illustrator you have, try back saving to CC or even version 8
in addition, have you tried grouping them together ?
Also experiment with different export extensions , EPS, AI, SVG

good luck

PB

jimbug72

I am using the latest version of Illustrator and am saving down to 2020 version as that's what version our Cutting Master 4 seemed to like best a couple of years ago so just stuck with it. Thanks for the tips, I'll try the suggested work arounds and try to remember to report back if one works. I've since found that if I merge them together into a single compound path it seems to work, but I'm not sure that's an ideal situation.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
we mainly use Corel draw for designing. VERY often we get files from clients that we need to import into corel and more times than not, we have these same issues. It is an Illustrator issue. Hate that program. it has caused us so much grief!!

DarkerKat

design & such
It's already been mentioned, but saving to EPS or even PDF would be where I would start. We work primarily in AI and just utilize flexi for braille (though our CNC operator uses Enroute so we've had similar issues come up there) Flexi has improved over the last few years as far as playing nice with other programs, but it still doesn't support open type characters. It's likely a font interpretation issue you're only having those paths disappear. You can also disable live text when you import files, though as you said that's not ideal if you want to be able to make last minute edits.
What font were you using for the hours that dropped 0s? (I know we cant request live files on here but I want to see if I can recreate the issue on my end)

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Possibly a font licensing issue?
If the font does not have the proper licensing it may disappear outside of illustrator.
Maybe try a different font, or convert to paths.

jimbug72

Thanks for the input. The characters in the file with the missing zeros issue had been converted to outlines before being opened in Flexi, so I think that instance was just the two programs not playing nice. I've not yet played around with .EPS and .PDF just yet. Our production person figured out a fix. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I think there was a "Convert to Contour Cut" or some such command in one of the windows menus that made everything show up to cut. We are chasing other gremlins now. I'll tinker with .EPS and .PDF and older versions of Illy and report back when I get the chance.

Last edited:

MikePro

not a fan of sending live text to production. so many instances in the past of fonts/kerning/etc changing ever-so-slightly between design & cutting.
just create outlines and send it however you like.