• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Screen-printed shirts - Quality check on aisle 3

jimbug72

Looks like a curing issue as everyone has mentioned. That's not really my department, but I know we would apologize & replace them if that came from our shop.

citysignshop

since nobody mentioned it; I've screenprinted thousands of shirts, caps, etc.....mostly plastisol ink, heat cured, some transfers etc.
You can run a batch of green shirts with a white print, it goes perfectly...then some shirts out of the same box just don't take the ink!
The fabric is from another roll, that has too much sizing applied, and it rejects the ink, or causes hell when it goes thru the dryer etc......quality control at the fabric mill is the problem, not the garment sewer, or the screen printer.
However....it all falls to the printer to address any issues and put a decent product out the door...their loss.
....which is why I don't screenprint garments anymore! :(

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
since nobody mentioned it; I've screenprinted thousands of shirts, caps, etc.....mostly plastisol ink, heat cured, some transfers etc.
You can run a batch of green shirts with a white print, it goes perfectly...then some shirts out of the same box just don't take the ink!
The fabric is from another roll, that has too much sizing applied, and it rejects the ink, or causes hell when it goes thru the dryer etc......quality control at the fabric mill is the problem, not the garment sewer, or the screen printer.
However....it all falls to the printer to address any issues and put a decent product out the door...their loss.
is it a particular style or brand that consistently does it?

White Haus

Not a Newbie

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be! Especially with how cutthroat the industry is, and how you probably have to invest in a lot of equipment and automation in order to compete.

Add inconsistent garment quality to the equation and that would be really hard to keep up with.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'm glad to know I wasn't just being picky. I know my standards are really high with how all of our work is done but sometimes that unnecessarily spills over into other aspects.

I've reached out the printer and they got back to me right away and offered to reprint the order, pending return of the shirts and inspection.

Will update as I learn more, but I'm impressed with how they handled it so far.

d fleming

It's been a very long time since doing any screen prints on garments, I don't remember heat being part of the process. Maybe I just don't recall that part. Still though, the registration of the two colors on the op's shirts is terrible. Heat won't fix that.
That's because that is a patch for a problem during curing. Also a no no.

d fleming

Agree with previous poster. First off not a good print. Then, of course, the shirt is not fully cured which results in what you are seeing. Been screen printing t shirts 43 years now, I've pretty much seen it all. ( famous last words, lol)