• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Accubend returns didn't work

Stormy Conner

Since our Accubend doesn't work for this one big job with several clouds and letters my boss outsourced the bending to another sign company. Since I didn't really have any experience with creating the file all I could send them was the .eps file of the same vector I used to cut the backs on our router. The person said that was fine then came back saying something about open nodes but really don't understand how that could happen. Honestly my knowledge of Accubend is pretty low since ours has really never worked. I had to teach myself about the router with some help from Computerized Cutters. They then cleaned up the .EPS files sent me a proof. Everything looked ok on the proof and then they bent the letters. But nothing is fitting. Most of it is not even long enough to fit around the backs. I don't know what could have happened. Anyone have any clue? I have the boss on my back about this but I don't know what could have happened, or what to do about it.

JBurton

Signtologist
Ok, you're in a pickle, and I'm somewhat dumbfounded that you'd order half of the components and manufacturer the other half and expect them to fit, just to get that out of the way.

The problem is likely with whatever original file you sent to the bender as a proof. They probably jacked around to make the letters feed through the bender easily, which in turn will stop them from working. They also likely scaled your art in another program to clean it up as well, then exported their own eps for the accubend. You'll need to ask them to the EPS they utilized for their bender, import it into your software you're using for CNC layout, and recut all the backs. I'd start with one to verify fit will be good, obviously. Alternatively, you could order backs and faces now from the company that bent the returns, but that is probably a waste of money since you have a router.
You'd ought to get on the horn with computerized cutters when this is over and nail down the issues with your files for the bender. The manual is only so helpful, a good deal of my knowledge has come from trial and error, but my fabricator tweaks the hell out of some parts and I'd never know it shy of him bragging...

Stormy Conner

Ok, you're in a pickle, and I'm somewhat dumbfounded that you'd order half of the components and manufacturer the other half and expect them to fit, just to get that out of the way.

The problem is likely with whatever original file you sent to the bender as a proof. They probably jacked around to make the letters feed through the bender easily, which in turn will stop them from working. They also likely scaled your art in another program to clean it up as well, then exported their own eps for the accubend. You'll need to ask them to the EPS they utilized for their bender, import it into your software you're using for CNC layout, and recut all the backs. I'd start with one to verify fit will be good, obviously. Alternatively, you could order backs and faces now from the company that bent the returns, but that is probably a waste of money since you have a router.
You'd ought to get on the horn with computerized cutters when this is over and nail down the issues with your files for the bender. The manual is only so helpful, a good deal of my knowledge has come from trial and error, but my fabricator tweaks the hell out of some parts and I'd never know it shy of him bragging...
Yeah I don't know why they wanted me to do that either when they have been doing by hand up till now. I appreciate your input on this I am just confused. I think they are doing it by hand now just not happy about it. My fault I guess.

Stormy Conner

From what you are saying if we ever get our Accubend to work (probably won't though) we should clean up the file set it for bending then you use that same file for backs then use it for faces. That should be the order everything is done in. This is information I didn't know and will be very helpful in future. Our guys have always bent them by hand so they needed the backs first. I didn't find out about us sending it off for bending until after the backs were cut and the faces were being trimcapped. So even if I had used our Accubend its likely the I would have had to tweak the art to work in the bender and it wouldn't have fit anyway. Ugh I really wish I had more training.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, as long as you boss is understanding, this is all training. Just an expensive way to go about it...
What model of accubend do you have? The process is basically the same for all of them as far as prepping files. Export EPS for enroute, import that, hit F2 for the placement dialogue box, move it to x2 y2, select it all, go into 'node mode', make sure each part has a 'start point' (right click on any given node, select 'make start point'), then go back to select mode, select everything, do an 'auto cleanup' (it the bottom option on one of the file, edit, draw, drop downs), then export as a dxf.
When loading files at the bender, after you select the file, it says something like 'select contours' and displays a blank screen. You have to click the button that says 'select contours', otherwise you think you've done it wrong, and repeat the above steps 15 times until you realize you've probably already done it right once if not more times.

Stormy Conner

Its a 410. I think I remember that part about thinking you had done it wrong until you hit select contours when i first tried to learn it before the computer gave out. :)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If you use the same file to cut your faces that you do to cut the backs, it's pretty much guaranteed the faces won't fit.
The faces should be larger that the backs- even if doing the return bending by hand.
If you care to know, here's the process:
- The original file/size is what you cut your faces from.
- Copy/paste that original, and inline it .125 (1/4" total larger) or .15625" (5/16" total larger). Some people prefer the larger size so the faces have some "play".
- Discard the original from the copy/paste and keep the inline.
- Place power/mounting holes on the inlined shape (we do this before cutting and let the CNC handle the job of drilling holes, then we don't have to create mounting patterns by hand) and cut the backers from that.
- Make sure your bender is accounting for the tool diameter your CNC has used (can't tell you where that is input, as we don't run an Accubend).
- Our bender requires the bending file get an .03" outline for some reason I've never understood. It also requires arc lengths under 60°, so that has to be accounted for (in our case, again, not familiar with Accubend's requirements). Our bender also requires a specific version of DXF file. For those specifics, you should really contact Accubend if no one here can offer you further guidance.

Stormy Conner

If you use the same file to cut your faces that you do to cut the backs, it's pretty much guaranteed the faces won't fit.
The faces should be larger that the backs- even if doing the return bending by hand.
If you care to know, here's the process:
- The original file/size is what you cut your faces from.
- Copy/paste that original, and inline it .125 (1/4" total larger) or .15625" (5/16" total larger). Some people prefer the larger size so the faces have some "play".
- Discard the original from the copy/paste and keep the inline.
- Place power/mounting holes on the inlined shape (we do this before cutting and let the CNC handle the job of drilling holes, then we don't have to create mounting patterns by hand) and cut the backers from that.
- Make sure your bender is accounting for the tool diameter your CNC has used (can't tell you where that is input, as we don't run an Accubend).
- Our bender requires the bending file get an .03" outline for some reason I've never understood. It also requires arc lengths under 60°, so that has to be accounted for (in our case, again, not familiar with Accubend's requirements). Our bender also requires a specific version of DXF file. For those specifics, you should really contact Accubend if no one here can offer you further guidance.
sorry i didn't make myself very clear I do know to make the faces bigger. I mostly meant the shape. And it doesn't look as if we will ever get our bender working. The hardrive is shot to the computer is shot and even if we got another computer that runs XP can't get the software. We will just do it by hand like we have been. Thanks for your help. :)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
sorry i didn't make myself very clear I do know to make the faces bigger. I mostly meant the shape. And it doesn't look as if we will ever get our bender working. The hardrive is shot to the computer is shot and even if we got another computer that runs XP can't get the software. We will just do it by hand like we have been. Thanks for your help. :)
Apologies. I must have misunderstood the original post.
Good luck. Does Accubend's current software not support the model you have? It might be worth upgrading- depending on the quantity you're producing. I know we'd be boned without a bender.

JBurton

Signtologist
My accubend runs off a crappy little laptop running windows 10, I see no reason they can't give you the files to set up a new pc. If y'all really don't want to mess with it, how much does you boss want for it?

Ryze Signs

I've had people wat me to only bend them returns and then they make everything else. I won't do that anymore. The more parts of the sign I build the better I can control the quality.

Bxtr

We have an Accubend Freedom, there was a learning curve to setting up the files. We keep a binder to spell it all out so we don't have to rely on one person to take care of all the channel letter jobs. I would contact CCI, they should be able to provide a new computer to run your machine. As well as training on how to setup your files correctly, then do a little trial and error on 1 letter until you get everything correct and apply that out to all jobs.
To keep all of it in-house and let the machine bend the returns will pay for the computer in saved labor alone. We had our IT take the original CCI laptop and max out the RAM and put a SSD to help increase the speed. That has helped immensely.