• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any suggestions on a 220V USB

Dennis422

Recently, I purchased new L330 and with recent storms and power outages, I wanted to see if there are battery back-ups available for these printers.
I have seen some that are $100-$200, but also some that are few thousands.

I would not mind spending 2-3 hundred for it. Is there someone using something like that?
Also, would a power surge protector be enough? I understand that it would not prevent the printer from shutting down, but it would still protect it when it is in the sleep mode and power outage happens.

Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'm not aware of any new 230V UPS's with the capacity to run that printer for more than a half a second in the price range you are wanting. Best thing I can suggest would be to look on eBay, surplus IT equipment resellers, your state surplus property sales offices, etc for a reasonably modern used one (maybe even one that just needs a new set of batteries). For a true commercial/industrial grade one that could actually run the printer for at least several minutes you can find something at a fairly low cost but the shipping is always high if they have the batteries with them. The other big plus is pretty much all commercial grade units like this also provide absolute top notch surge suppression and power conditioning.

Search eBay for 230v UPS also maybe try 220v and 240v - just do not want one specifically made for 208v unless you happen to have 3 phase Wye power service.

We have two big Eaton rack mount ones that are 240v. They have both 240v and 120v outputs. One is dedicated to the RIP computer and the Mimaki's and Summa cutter. With a single Mimaki printing it can run it for about 45 minutes. I got the UPS's as government surplus on Govdeals.com for around $500 and they were still new in the box and the batteries even still took a charge. Gotta love government waste right.....

dypinc

Looked in to it as to what it would take and found them to be in the $4K to 5K range per piece. I just couldn't see much use for them because it would not be likely they could hold power long enough to finish a print. So in the long run you would have 10K down the drain for what. On the other hand if you had short spikes of power lose maybe, but in that case that should be something your power supplier should be able to rectify.

I did some printing work for solar/wind power company that was wanting to test their inverter/UPS equipment. We setup a 48volt system with 8 batteries and cranked up the laminator and L25500 at the time and were drawing 19,000 watts. When we disconnected from the grid we could hold that for 4 to 5 minutes which would be long enough for a natural gas fired 30,000 watt generator to kick in. It would have been a sweet whole shop setup but at 30K it was just a little to costly. We had a ice storm that ferreted all the grid weakness in the area back about 9 years ago so I just don't loose power enough anymore to justify the 30K price tag.

player

We have something similar in our shop. Works great, we've been getting a TON of storms lately and we've had lots of power surges and it kills power before anything can even reach the electrical panel. WELL worth the investment!

Chaz

Which one do you have as the one here dies after 1 hit.