• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are there any merchant's that print and contour cut vehicle magnets

TheSnowman

I have a customer that has a pretty amazing setup for a car show, and he's got a "set" (truck and trailer rig) that go together, but he wants to be able to drive the truck separate, and if the graphics are on there permanently, it's labeled pretty weird for just driving around w/o the trailer vehicle.

I tried and failed cutting magnets on my Mimaki plotter, but I've read on here about people that have done it. It wouldn't be mega complex shapes, but it won't be a rectangle either. Can anyone point me to someone that can help me with this?

TheSnowman

Yep...but it won't be as good as a computer cut one. This guy is extremely particular, and he doesn't mind spending money to get stuff right, so I'm still looking for someone that can do it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The trick on a plotter is not to cut the magnet but to just score it a little. Then you tear it apart. That being said I'd not do it with an expensive plotter as it is very hard on the motors and thrashes the blade. Get a cheap Chinese eBay cutter for a couple hundred bucks and rag it out with mags... I've don't it with the thinner magnetic for fridge magnets but I'd really be reluctant to stick some 030 in my Summa.

Outlawsignz

If you can print it and leave a cut line (or supply the appropriate format to someone) find someone with a laser.

Not sure what you are cutting, but for either a smaller run, or 2ft x 2ft max, you could get away with it?

just a thought

Turnergraphics

I have a customer that has a pretty amazing setup for a car show, and he's got a "set" (truck and trailer rig) that go together, but he wants to be able to drive the truck separate, and if the graphics are on there permanently, it's labeled pretty weird for just driving around w/o the trailer vehicle.

I tried and failed cutting magnets on my Mimaki plotter, but I've read on here about people that have done it. It wouldn't be mega complex shapes, but it won't be a rectangle either. Can anyone point me to someone that can help me with this?

I have a flatbed graphtec 2250 that cuts 24 x 36 if that helps you

ChrisN

Anyone with a flatbed cutter should be able to do it. I've successfully through-cut ProMag magnetics, but Gerber AutoMag I couldn't - it was too thin and stretched from the force of the blade. I had to score & tear it to get it to work.