• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canva purchases Affinity

Tim Miller

Not sure what it all means, but it appears that Canva has purchased Affinity.
Affinity - Canva
To our amazing Affinity community,
Today marks a momentous new chapter in our journey together.
I am thrilled to announce that Affinity is joining the Canva family.
This is a moment of great excitement, anticipation, and profound gratitude for all of you who have been part of our story so far.
We know that those of you who've put your faith in Affinity, some since we launched our very first Mac app, will have questions about what this means for the future of our products. Since the inception of Affinity, our mission has been to empower creatives with tools that unleash their full potential, fostering a community where innovation and artistry flourish. We've worked tirelessly to challenge the status quo, delivering professional-grade creative software that is both accessible and affordable.
None of that changes today.
In Canva, we've found a kindred spirit who can help us take Affinity to new levels. Their extra resources will mean we can deliver much more, much faster. Beyond that, we can forge new horizons for Affinity products, opening up a world of possibilities that would never previously have been achievable.
Canva's revolutionary approach to design democratisation and commitment to empowering everyone to create aligns perfectly with our core values and vision. This union is a testament to what can be achieved when two companies that share a common goal of making design accessible and enjoyable for everyone come together.
I want to express my deepest gratitude to our incredible Affinity team. Your passion, dedication, and relentless pursuit of excellence have been the driving force behind our success so far, and I can't wait to continue this journey with you all.
To our loyal users and the creative community, your support and feedback have been invaluable, we hope this this FAQ will answer many of your questions.
You've inspired us to push boundaries and continuously improve, and we're excited to embark on this new chapter together.
You helped us start a movement.
Today, that movement becomes a revolution.
With heartfelt thanks,
Ash Hewson - Affinity CEO
Ashley Hewson
CEO​

DL Signs

Never go against the family
It means either Canva will get better, or Affinity will become garbage.
I'm leaning towards the latter since Canva caters to crafters, amateurs, web designing, desktop publishing, the ditzy receptionist who doubles as the companies designer, not true professionals. Either way I'm sure the price gouging subscription based model is coming. Personally, if Affinity would have partnered up with equipment manufacturers for plugin support like Corel and Adobe have, they were well on their way to being a major competitor. I like their software, streamlined, no bloat, I do everything with half the keyboard shortcuts, clicks, menu surfing, it does everything I need it to efficiently... I use it so much that I only have one license for Illustrator on one machine left for that plugin support. Now that affinity designer has support for cad extensions, I even do basic engineering specs in it to have parts fabricated. All Canva sees is $$$, this is why we can't have nice things, like affordable, usable software.

WildWestDesigns

I probably have just become too jaded, but I worry for Affinity users. May be for nothing, but history of things like this don't seem to be good for users.

And eventually commercial programs go subscription and not just that, but subscription only. But at this point that's still speculation on my part.

DL Signs

According to the powers that be, they say they're still going to keep Affinity as it's own entity, same development team, same course it's been on.
Time will tell.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Smells like more hijinks from the private equity crowd. BTW, much of the developmental funding behind Canva came exactly from private equity firms.

It's also interesting that Monotype made a licensing deal with Canva. Monotype is owned by a private equity group and seems to be hell-bent on monopolizing the type industry. They've been buying up a shocking number of well-known type foundries; the pace of acquisitions has really ramped up during the past few years. Monotype also owns the most popular online stores for commercial fonts (Myfonts.com, Fonts.com, FontShop and probably more than that). Ever since Monotype acquired Myfonts those huge introductory discounts on type families have largely disappeared. No more 90% off sales. The best discount you get these days is maybe 60%. That's probably because they want customers signing up to their fonts subscription service, one that is dramatically larger than the Adobe Fonts service that comes with Creative Cloud.

Anyway, I don't think Canva's acquisition of Serif is good news for any users of Affinity products. Affinity Designer has some promising potential, but has glaring holes compared CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. No support of Variable Fonts is a big problem. Previously I had some hope Serif would do something about those shortcomings. With Canva involved it changes my expectations. I figure they'll probably do more to dumb-down the application to make it more friendly to the "hold my beer I'm going to play at being a graphics guy" DIY design demographic.

WildWestDesigns

SaaS of some type is the end game for all commercial digital products (Windows wants to be there as well). Shoot, even some physical goods are trying to be that way as well. I would imagine that by v3, Affinity will be SaaS.
It's also interesting that Monotype made a licensing deal with Canva. Monotype is owned by a private equity group and seems to be hell-bent on monopolizing the type industry. They've been buying up a shocking number of well-known type foundries; the pace of acquisitions has really ramped up during the past few years. Monotype also owns the most popular online stores for commercial fonts (Myfonts.com, Fonts.com, FontShop and probably more than that). Ever since Monotype acquired Myfonts those huge introductory discounts on type families have largely disappeared. No more 90% off sales. The best discount you get these days is maybe 60%. That's probably because they want customers signing up to their fonts subscription service, one that is dramatically larger than the Adobe Fonts service that comes with Creative Cloud.
I have never gotten any of my fonts those companies, so I had no idea that those foundries had gone that way. I have always gotten my fronts from smaller business (or individuals), which meant that the selection was far more focused (either for signage, comics, monograms etc), tended to be more expensive, but I didn't have to worry about something always being online or a subscription. But as long as people are spending the money on it, even if they are grumbling, these companies will continue to do it.

Anyway, I don't think Canva's acquisition of Serif is good news for any users of Affinity products. Affinity Designer has some promising potential, but has glaring holes compared CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. No support of Variable Fonts is a big problem. Previously I had some hope Serif would do something about those shortcomings. With Canva involved it changes my expectations. I figure they'll probably do more to dumb-down the application to make it more friendly to the "hold my beer I'm going to play at being a graphics guy" DIY design demographic.
About the only pro that I have seen thru this whole process, is that some people have said that Affinity's dev had seem to stagnate and that this may (emphasis on may) help with that. That was the hope anyway. That was a small hope, but hope nonetheless. If that is true, Affinity users may have been in for a rough spot either way.

Dale D

It means either Canva will get better, or Affinity will become garbage.
I'm leaning towards the latter since Canva caters to crafters, amateurs, web designing, desktop publishing, the ditzy receptionist who doubles as the companies designer, not true professionals. Either way I'm sure the price gouging subscription based model is coming. Personally, if Affinity would have partnered up with equipment manufacturers for plugin support like Corel and Adobe have, they were well on their way to being a major competitor. I like their software, streamlined, no bloat, I do everything with half the keyboard shortcuts, clicks, menu surfing, it does everything I need it to efficiently... I use it so much that I only have one license for Illustrator on one machine left for that plugin support. Now that affinity designer has support for cad extensions, I even do basic engineering specs in it to have parts fabricated. All Canva sees is $$$, this is why we can't have nice things, like affordable, usable software.
I could not agree more. I screamed at Serif for months just to add dxf support. I thought we were getting somewhere then.... now this feels like a gut punch.

Odds of getting a Summa or any other plug in looks to be out of the question now.

Johnny Best

I bought Affinity years ago, have aquired free upgrades over the years. Affinity was new and not as easy to lern like Illustrator. New things for people to get and learn is hard, especially sign people. It did not surprise me when it got gobbled up by Canva. Even those people who use Canva wonʼt use it. Like Aldus Pagemaker it is gone to Cyberpurgatory to languish.

WildWestDesigns

There keeping the perpetual licence. they may introduce a subscription.

If that holds up, that would be a good thing. What makes me worried, is given the very recent Unity kerfuffle and what they had done. Nothing prevents something similar. Speculations on my part, but I have gotten to the point of "hope for the best, plan for the worst".

Attachments

• pledge.png
    pledge.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 47

DL Signs

They plan on offering the choice of the std license, or subscription, depending on your needs. Unless they jack the price to the moon I don't really see where a subscription would be useful, unless the subcription was for a web based platform so you could access anywhere.

I'm really a fan. Affinity is powerful, streamlined, and with live previews for everything stuff can be done in a fraction of the time as Illustrator, or others. They're on the right track to be a major player, the one big thing missing though is plugin support for print & cutting equipment like Adobe and Corel have. I don't use half of the bloatware features in Illustrator, don't need generative features, never use image tracing... At my age (and bad eyesight from staring at screens for decades) I hate how precise you have to be selecting things in Illustrator, all the extra clicks, keystrokes, and steps to do everything. I sure hope they don't "Canva" it all up and make it as much of a joke as their platform.

Did this in Affinity designer, just vector shapes, masking, and gaussian blurs, that's pretty much it. Original version of this I did on a laptop between naps on a weekend when I was sick, modified it recently showing one of the grand-kids I'm teaching some tricks & techniques on editing and refining vectors to mke them work in different applications, like signs. He's going on 10 and could already send better files to everyone than most of our customers do.

I have tons of vector drawings like this I've done just for fun since I started using Affinity. Illustrator is just too clunkey & bloated to do this kind of stuff efficiently, and you'd need 10 times the computer resources to handle the number of layers. This kind of stuff doesn't even slow a cheap laptop down.

Attachments

• Harley-092_1080_V2.jpg
    Harley-092_1080_V2.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 39

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
SaaS of some type is the end game for all commercial digital products (Windows wants to be there as well). Shoot, even some physical goods are trying to be that way as well. I would imagine that by v3, Affinity will be SaaS.

Subscription services are not always a bad thing. My bigger concern are these private equity companies and their motives. Computer software such as Canva and Affinity Designer or freaking fonts is just a tiny part of the deal. Private equity companies ruin so much of what they touch. They're professional bean counters with no expertise in the businesses they acquire, but they'll buy them anyway, gut the staff and then if things don't work out they'll sell the furniture.

Private equity companies are infiltrating every aspect of life and trying to monopolize it. They're buying up residential homes by the tens of thousands, as well as buying up retirement communities and assisted living centers. People who want to pass an "estate" down to their kids might see it get intercepted by these vultures. This is a dangerous situation because it may create America's next "too big to fail" moment. What if the housing industry crashes (we're in quite a price bubble right now)? Are firms like Blackstone going to expect a bailout from "Uncle Sugar?"

These private equity groups think they've got it all figured out and that they're going to squeeze us for all we're worth. It may work in the short term. But they're helping fuel a worsening problem of generational demographics in America. Too many Americans are being priced out of parenthood. Some people might think that's ok. But a crashing birthrate will create severe problems for the long term. The US could have too many old people and not enough working age tax-payers to fund various systems we take for granted. We won't have enough fighting-age people to staff our military. The Marines are the only force hitting recruiting targets right now. Private equity companies are eating this nation's seed corn.

WildWestDesigns said:
I have never gotten any of my fonts those companies, so I had no idea that those foundries had gone that way. I have always gotten my fronts from smaller business (or individuals), which meant that the selection was far more focused (either for signage, comics, monograms etc), tended to be more expensive, but I didn't have to worry about something always being online or a subscription.

Monotype has been buying up type foundries both big and small. If you have been buying fonts at all on any sort of basis (frequent or only once in awhile) chances are Monotype now owns the rights to some or many of those fonts.

You can still buy fonts the traditional way from foundries now owned by Monotype. But you'll probably be paying more money for them. Prior to the Monotype takeover it was common to see new type families introduced with price discounts up to 90% off at sites like MyFonts. Those discounts are finished. Several years ago I needed the Avenir Next type family for a project was able to snag it at MyFonts for $100. It was a 75% off discount. The regular price on that type family has gone from $400 to $1000. That's just one example. The jacked up prices are a way to steer customers to the subscription setup ($199 per year for access to 150,000+ fonts).

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
If that holds up, that would be a good thing. What makes me worried, is given the very recent Unity kerfuffle and what they had done. Nothing prevents something similar. Speculations on my part, but I have gotten to the point of "hope for the best, plan for the worst".

I don't mind subscription.
Yes, you never truly own the software, but it allows the company to get more revenue, which means they get to further invest into the software.
more, sooner updates.

And what i like, is if you find another software, you can cancel, it and jump ship.

I also understand some people don't care and rather own it.
each to their own.

for canva, if it opens more doors for them, their customers/users, it's good for affinity software users too.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't like subscription based anything because you are at their mercy to run whatever crap updates that they push out and the learning curve of this stuff tends to lock you in forever. Like what google did with Gmail and Intuit with Quickbooks. When you own your assets you have the majority of control. There is always the risk that one of these software companies that are critical to your business goes out of business, astronomically raises their prices (quickbooks??), forces the use of proprietary filetypes etc etc. I'm still running the same version of Photoshop I had in College. It doesn't have all the fancy features of the new ones but who cares? If you learned this stuff a long time ago, you already know how to quickly do all the things that are simplified on new versions.
As BobbyH said, you can't trust what these private equity companies, their whole premise is to cut costs and leverage a companies assets to siphon money out and to themselves. It is not a long term business strategy, it is a short term money grab and once the original investors get what they want, they flip it to the next person who squeezes it even more. It's almost a loophole that they have learned to exploit. Boeing is another one that was destroyed by bean counters after their takeover of MD AFAIK?

KY_Graphics_Gal

As a true graphic designer and printer, Canva has wrecked the industry in small town America. People used to come to us for professional branding and graphics services but now EVERYONE is a graphic designer. It makes it even more difficult as a printer. If you don't understand margins and bleed you have no business designing print materials. I spend more time now days trying to educate my clients on why their design will not print correctly than if I had just designed it myself. And of course when it comes to large format printing and signage I get the deer in headlights look when I try to explain that the 105k, 72dpi PNG "logo" they created in Canva will NOT look good at 6' tall. SMH

WildWestDesigns

Monotype has been buying up type foundries both big and small. If you have been buying fonts at all on any sort of basis (frequent or only once in awhile) chances are Monotype now owns the rights to some or many of those fonts.

These are very small and very niche and the fact that I don't see them on monotype's site, leads me to believe that they haven't. Or nothing has been officially changed yet on their site if they have.
Subscription services are not always a bad thing.

For software that is used to make one money, yes it is. Too many things can happen, features that one may use are deprecated and/or removed at the drop of a hat. And not much one can do about it, because being able to keep that older version is just not allowed anymore. Plus, this always online is just not a good thing at all. It allows for many vectors of malware (in the vary broadest of terms) to come in and gunk up your system with that perpetual online. It adds in a lot of convenience, but most people (including OEM vendors) have very little in the way of security for such things. It is just the best way to enforce DRM of the software.

I don't mind subscription.
Yes, you never truly own the software, ....
The irony is, we never truly owned the software to begin with. Not even with perpetual licenses. The biggest difference between that time period and now is the ease of which DRM can be enforced. That is really it. Software was always licensed, at best what the user bought and had "ownership" of was the physical means of conveyance, that is it.

...but it allows the company to get more revenue, which means they get to further invest into the software.
more, sooner updates.
Ahh yea, the pipe dream. Although, some actually do it justice, but not everyone does.

Your assuming that the more, sooner updates are actually of quality (sometimes yes, sometimes no), also, a feature that you use today, may not be available tomorrow at a moment's notice(why I tend to suggest people know the manual/semi manual tools as that allows for a much easier path to jump ship if need be, try not to be beholding to software specific needs (this is why I'm able to use Blender even for 2D work compared to having to have a 2D specific program(and that ain't easy, but it does work)).

This is good in theory, but in practice not really so much.

The are some updates that I would just never need, so them doing those updates means squat to me, but because I'm on a subscription service, I have to deal with all that that brings, change in the UI, differences in function interaction etc. It used to be quality updates was what brings in the updates and the people buying. That incentive is not really there and if a program has a pretty good hold of a market segment, they can get away with that longer compared to a small fry doing it. Because that migration path isn't as easy/open for the customer to go elsewhere.

And what i like, is if you find another software, you can cancel, it and jump ship.
While I have not only done that with programs, but an entire OS, that isn't as easy as it may seem. Some reasons/excuses that I have heard:

Too old to learn something new
All my master files are in x format
Can't do Y function (either it's software specific or it is available, but not in the same manor as in the previous software(going back to the first reason/excuse as well))

In general it is far easier for people to stick with what they know and sometimes having so much invested in one program, makes it hard to cut ties off and start over again.

I also understand some people don't care and rather own it.
each to their own.
Unless people are getting the source code with the program (and even open source does have caveats depending on the license) or writing their own (and I have done this and even in C/C++ as well, not as hard as one thinks, definitely not like it was when I was first exposed to those languages many moons ago in HS), one doesn't own the program. What it really boils down to is more control over the tools that people use to make a living.

As to Canva opening up more doors, what it does is attempt to abstract more away so more people can do what used to be handled by professionals. I don't mind that if those people actually learned what was going on, but they don't. That bar is going more and more downward. Why I'm not too much of a fan of AI as well. As tools bring more abstractions, the knowledge of what goes on in the background is no longer retained (if they knew it in the first place).

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
As to Canva opening up more doors, what it does is attempt to abstract more away so more people can do what used to be handled by professionals. I don't mind that if those people actually learned what was going on, but they don't. That bar is going more and more downward. Why I'm not too much of a fan of AI as well. As tools bring more abstractions, the knowledge of what goes on in the background is no longer retained (if they knew it in the first place).
If I didn't see so many crappy designs done by "professionals" then I would agree you here but we all know there are no shortage of hacks that do this for a living. On the plus side of customers canva creations, it gives you a concept to start from without having to waste a ton of time talking things through with them. It's not much different than getting a sketch from a someone or working from your own.