• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear acrylic - easily scratched?

mnapuran

So.... back to the acrylic vs polycarbonate debate :rolleyes:

We are doing a project with print/cut art on glass and mounted in a frame. Looking for a most cost effective and safer shipping method, and considering using acrylic instead of glass. My concern is the ease of scratching, etc. However... my experience with this is more from poly then acrylic. Is this a real concern with clear acrylic as well?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
What are the dimensions of the glass, and what percentage is covered by the artwork? Also, will they be displayed indoors or outdoors?

JB

mnapuran

Let's say 12"x32" piece of glass.... amount covered, hrmmm. Varies by the job, but think of most fonts and a few logo's. There will be many done with standard cut vinyl vs print/contour cut as well.

Mostly indoor use.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Let's say 12"x32" piece of glass.... amount covered, hrmmm. Varies by the job, but think of most fonts and a few logo's. There will be many done with standard cut vinyl vs print/contour cut as well.

Mostly indoor use.

Next question: What is the potential for fingerprints, and the need for cleaning / dusting?

JB

player

Lexan scratches much easier than Plexi.

Polycarbonate surface seems "soft" in comparison.

In my own humble opinion of course.

Billct2

Acrylic & poly can't compare to glass. If thesigns have been glass andthat's what the customer has been expecting they will probably end up disappointed with acrylic.

mnapuran

Yea... that's my initial thought as well.

Another issue is that we could move to tempered glass to better protect from issues, but that raises the price that much more as well. :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's happened that you want to change your current method ??

Sometimes, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :help unless, you're breaking a lotta glass lately.

artbot

tempered glass and acrylic cost about the same. standard glass is basically free compared to all clear substrates. depending on the fabrication, you could use 3030 acrylic (that is if the edges are exposed). it will give the build an authentic feel.

as for shipping, i've seen many business die due to shipping. i'm rebuilding my business right now, and it's shipping first second and third, then product. if you can't get it there perfect 100% of the time and pack it quick and cheap, you do nothing but struggle instead of produce widgets.

Marlene

Acrylite makes a plexi that is abrasion resistant. I had a sample of it that came with a little piece of steel wool and it worked. I've used it on many projects that need a clear that doesn't scratch. when I order it from the plastic company I deal with I ask for museum grade optical plexi but have no idea if that is what it is called, my guy just knows what I'm asking for