• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer wet applied wrap material

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a customer who ordered some trailer graphics last summer. I used Arlon SLX with the corresponding laminate. She showed me over the weekend that all the edges are lifting. The laminate is not separating but all the edges are peeling off about 1/8". I asked her how she applied and she said she wet applied with Rapid Tac, she said she always wet applies. I told her that's fine for regular cut graphics but not printed wrap material. I know when she bought them we had discussed they go on dry. The good thing is the graphic is something that can be trimmed and then...my question is will it keep peeling or should I suggest an edge sealing pen?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I doubt an edge pen will do anything at all. According to the shape of the image, you might suggest a 1 inch vinyl trim of a cast vinyl to look like a border.

Next, with all of your DIYers, include a WRITTEN page of the dos & don'ts of any and all applications. Then, they can't say you didn't warn them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, I kinda messed that situation up. I was supposed to install it and then she changed her mind at the last minute. Thing is, she bragged about how she wraps almost all her own vehicles so I didn't think too much of it.

Gino - I'm making a sheet as we speak LOL

And I'm going to do it for her at no charge...it's better than replacing the whole thing

HandsomeBob

Add the cost of what you are doing to her next job. That is only fair. Your are not responsible for her wrap mistake. Where did she get the Rapid Tac?
I too have had clients claim I did not tell them something, when I most certainly did, and then demanded free replacements for their mistakes.
Be prepared, she will ask for more "favors" or blame you more for what happened. Your solution to this problem has to be perfect or she will remind you of your mistake every time she sees you.
This can only get less profitable and become worse, FOR YOU!!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If you sold her the right material and laminate it’s on her not you…

She didn’t install it correctly and probably didn’t prep the vehicle properly before installation.

Edge seal pen won’t work and clear laminate strips will look pretty bad if it works at all.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Agree with the others on edge taping.... trim it and add the tape. But yeah - if a customer gets graphics that they want to install themselves we always tell them that the warranty ends the second we hand them the material with a quick explanation why.

MrDav3C

Maybe 3M primer 94 would work to solve the issues much better than a seal it pen?

Obviously the issue is on the customer as they have installed this incorrectly & I guess it depends how far you want to go to help them & whether you want to keep them as a customer.

Precision

Depends on how it was installed.

There are too many variables of installing that can matter. For instance how was the vehicle prepped at install. was it wiped down with alcohol. Does any ont time installer have your tools. Who installed it. Wet apply says something about the install experience.

Another thought: SLX is not bad, has a good price point, but it's not the best at sticking hardwhen used for cut graphics. It definitely needs to be post heated properly to make sure the little glue knodgels do their thing.

Your doing the right thing by replacing it. Just so everyone knows the fail is usually the installation and not necesarily the material.

We just had a customer order some prints for their vans (rockers, logos, and a hood), then a few days after pickup they call and ask how to install it...and how much water should they use.

Should have realized something was up when they didn't know the difference between a bitmap or vector logo.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I do a lot of print-cut graphics & logos for companies who wish to install themselves on vehicles, trailers & such.
I started slapping little stickers on all of them with instructions on how to prep, and to only install dry when it's air release vinyl.
Too many watch hack youtube videos where they use anything from windex to other cleaning products, to god knows what to install graphics.