• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting PVC

JMPrinting

Getting basic shapes routed by others is getting expensive, going to cut an oval with either 6MM PVC or possbily max metal. Any tips? I would appreciate it.

Also, any nice brand of saws or any to stay away from?

J Hill Designs

Getting basic shapes routed by others is getting expensive, going to cut an oval with either 6MM PVC or possbily max metal. Any tips? I would appreciate it.

Also, any nice brand of saws or any to stay away from?

There's a reason its expensive. it takes time. especially 1-offs. the plus side is, its perfect.

The Hobbyist

I'd cut it for you, but I live in Kentucky. I have a 5x10 CNC router table. If you needed a thousand of them or some quantity that would make sense to travel the distance, I could do it for you.

Find some sign shop that has a ShopBot or another router table capable of cutting it for you.

petepaz

not sure the cost but try harborsales.net
order 4x8 sheet and have them cut the whole sheet what ever shapes you need and you will have a few on the shelf for future runs

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Bring production in-house and instantly have more quality control then you ever dreamed of. Buy a CNC of your own. Then, you can cut one or two of anything out, whenever you want to. It doesn't sound like it's getting too expensive for you, just inconvenient. Bring it in-house, like I said... and see how and why it costs what it does.

If you insist on cutting it with a saw, cut it on a scroll saw and get yourself a good multiple disc sander. That's how you clean up your edges professionally. Otherwise, you'll just hafta wait the 2 or 3 weeks and tell your customers the same.

rossmosh

not sure the cost but try harborsales.net
order 4x8 sheet and have them cut the whole sheet what ever shapes you need and you will have a few on the shelf for future runs

HarborSales is soooooo cheap to cut stuff out. Their pricing is ridiculous.

The other option is to buy router templates and route out your own blanks. 6mm PVC will cut in one pass with a 3HP router and a 1/4" bit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never found Harbor to be cheaper on anything, let alone, you hafta jumps through hoops to get a quote.

Earlier this week, I called and asked what it would cost to do a project. I said I have all the information and they can give me a quote verbally with my information. Nope. We must see the files and then we can give you a quote. Just connect me with the router department, please. Nope. They will not answer the phone. What the heck do they have an extension for..... or even a phone for that matter, if they don't answer ?? Listen lady, I have a $3,500 order and I want to see if they can do it for close to the same price in a reasonable amount of time. My normal guy is backed up. Ya want the chance or not ?? She said nothing. So, I hung up. And this isn't the first time they acted like that. I usually don't rag on vendors, but they're the pits.

rossmosh

I've never found Harbor to be cheaper on anything, let alone, you hafta jumps through hoops to get a quote.

Earlier this week, I called and asked what it would cost to do a project. I said I have all the information and they can give me a quote verbally with my information. Nope. We must see the files and then we can give you a quote. Just connect me with the router department, please. Nope. They will not answer the phone. What the heck do they have an extension for..... or even a phone for that matter, if they don't answer ?? Listen lady, I have a $3,500 order and I want to see if they can do it for close to the same price in a reasonable amount of time. My normal guy is backed up. Ya want the chance or not ?? She said nothing. So, I hung up. And this isn't the first time they acted like that. I usually don't rag on vendors, but they're the pits.

They have a procedure. You email your files to the router department. Within 24 hours they send back a price quote. CNC production time is heavily dependent on what you send over. It's more than reasonable for them to want to take 10 minutes and price out the job properly.

I can tell you their cutting pricing is what a garage shop would charge. As far as I can tell, they offer the service so they can sell their vinyl and substrates.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't have a file ready or made. It was about 660 14" high letters and you get about 35 to 40 letters per sheet. I just needed a per sheet cut price and the cost of the substrate. I mean, how much thinking does it take to cut out basically sans-serifed letters, out of 3/4" gator ?? It's not delicate designs or super difficult letters. Nothing tough about it. A round-about price is all I wanted. Got the price instantly at the next two places I called. So, if others can do it, why can't they ??

Too bad. I understand procedure, but then there's also ya can't get out of your own way to get something done, too. :rolleyes: Their loss, not mine.

rossmosh

I didn't have a file ready or made. It was about 660 14' high letters and you get about 35 to 40 letters per sheet. I just needed a per sheet cut price and the cost of the substrate. I mean, how much thinking does it take to cut out basically sans-serifed letters, out of 3/4" gator ?? It's not delicate designs or super difficult letters. Nothing tough about it. A round-about price is all I wanted. Got the price instantly at the next two places I called. So, if others can do it, why can't they ??

Too bad. I understand procedure, but then there's also ya can't get out of your own way to get something done, too. :rolleyes: Their loss, not mine.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to get a price quote immediately from anyone?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, were you able to get a price quote immediately from anyone?

The one place took a few minutes while I waited and quoted me, while the other place asked if they could call me back. They did in about 10 or 15 minutes. So, essentially, yes..... compared to Harbor, it was as immediate as I need to be. No 24 hour quoting time. No having to make up files to send off. No nothing. I can see like Gemini, where they are making cast plaques and need the detail, but a cookie cutter machine on gator..... c'mon, it ain't rocket science. :rock-n-roll:

fixtureman

The one place took a few minutes while I waited and quoted me, while the other place asked if they could call me back. They did in about 10 or 15 minutes. So, essentially, yes..... compared to Harbor, it was as immediate as I need to be. No 24 hour quoting time. No having to make up files to send off. No nothing. I can see like Gemini, where they are making cast plaques and need the detail, but a cookie cutter machine on gator..... c'mon, it ain't rocket science. :rock-n-roll:

How do you get 35 to 40 14 foot tall letters out of a 4x8 sheet. Now if they were 14 inch tall I would be about $2,000 for the cutting