• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Epson S80670 or S40600 or something else?

whatsinaname

How big is the difference in print quality and the color gamut between the Epson S40600 and the Epson S80670? has anyone ever printed the same design on both the printers and seen a major difference in the color and sharpness?

I am on the fence to buy an Epson SC series eco-solvent printers. But the S80 series is double the cost of an S40 here in my region. My main job would be to print high resolution decals and stickers etc. Colors and print sharpness would be a priority for us.

So should I go with the Epson S80670 or S40600 or something else as my first printer?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I don't have either one of those (we have a S60600) but from my understanding the S40 is just a single head version of the S60.

The colors are pretty damn good on our S60 - very similar to our 7 color set up on our old Roland (CMYKLcLmLk).

I intentionally went with the dual CMYK set up for the speed - I don't have any comparison to the 10 color (S80) version but I believe they have some documentation related to the achievable color matching capabilities on both.

I want to say the 10 color S80 line can hit 98% of pantones or something along those lines, where as the 4 color version is more like 92% or so. When checking our profiles in Onyx I can confirm that it will hit somewhere near that number.

I'm very picky when it comes to color matching and quality and so far I've been very pleased with our Epson.

There are some colors that print a bit grainier than I'm used to on our old Rolands, but nothing that hasn't been acceptable.

Goatshaver

Premium Subscriber
I love my S40 It's fast and the print quality is great. Don't really have any complaints about it. I mainly do decals and stickers, but my customers are really too concerned with matching colors to anything.

danno

We have an S80 here. Colour gamut is the best I have printed with. If you have capabilities to build your own profiles, you can make it better.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
We have a 60600 and it's hands down the easiest printer we've ever owned and the image quality is amazing. We had 5 or 6 Roland's and Mimaki's before it. I'd still have no issue buying a different brand though and we like our Mimaki printers a lot but the Epson is just weirdly so low maintenance that's amazing.

Downside is that it's pretty $$$ to fill with ink so if you like to keep a full set of spares on the shelf it's a big investment.

Keep in mind that you need a separate cutter which is great if you're high volume but not as convenient if you're not.

Anyways, love our 60600. We have the 4000 series sublimation printer and I'm not sure how it compares to the solvent version but it's dramatically less robust and just feels cheaper. That being said, it too has been nearly maintenance free and prints beautifully.

marsuni

Unitype-GR
Using Both I can mention S80 is the Superb ever solvent inkjet with S40 being the Best!!!

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Print heads are the same, you can adjust the quality by changing the pass count on the prints. Quality is outstanding.
You can dial in every media profiles on the printer itself for great results no matter what you're printing on.

S80 uses inks that are not guaranteed to last outdoors.
You will hardly ever use the white ink, will never use the metallic ink, and the others fade within a couple years.
Even when our printers had the white ink option, we decided to put cleaning carts in and outsource anything that needed white printed.
It is expensive to keep the (rarely used) cartridges in stock to not use them, and it makes the printer harder to clean from what pigments are used.

S40 is just a single-head version of the S60, so the only difference between the two of them is that S60 is twice as fast as an S40.
I print a LOT of vinyl here for national brands, and have never had issues hitting their colors with S60 printers.

whatsinaname

Print heads are the same, you can adjust the quality by changing the pass count on the prints. Quality is outstanding.
You can dial in every media profiles on the printer itself for great results no matter what you're printing on.

S80 uses inks that are not guaranteed to last outdoors.
You will hardly ever use the white ink, will never use the metallic ink, and the others fade within a couple years.
Even when our printers had the white ink option, we decided to put cleaning carts in and outsource anything that needed white printed.
It is expensive to keep the (rarely used) cartridges in stock to not use them, and it makes the printer harder to clean from what pigments are used.

S40 is just a single-head version of the S60, so the only difference between the two of them is that S60 is twice as fast as an S40.
I print a LOT of vinyl here for national brands, and have never had issues hitting their colors with S60 printers.

Thank you for the insights. Hitting pantone colors would never be our priority as we would do the production for our own business. What we are worried though would be the difference, if any, in print sharpness and colors overall due to the additional inks present in the S80 series.

greysquirrel

If it’s your first printer, the s40 is the best bang for the buck. The s80 has an enormous color gamut, but it’s not nrmecessary for most businesses. The white is milky and the silver is expensive and almost a waste. The s60!is a nice option but you can almost buy 2 s40s for one s60/s80

whatsinaname

just a thought...Is it worth going with 3rd party printers with epson heads? Getting quotes for 64" printers at less than half the cost of an S40.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The additional inks are NOT warranted whatsoever by Epson. They will fade much quicker than the standard CMYK inks will, resulting in much shorter lifespans for graphics.

Cyclone Print

We currently have a HP800 and have been having some issues with dimensional stability (amongst other things). Was thinking of trying the Epson Eco-solvent machines but the two things that worry me are the outgassing time and the scratch resistance. Are these two things really as much of a problem as some people say? Happy to leave the prints outgassing but do i need to unroll a full roll of media to do this? And with decals, do they need to be laminated to be ok for sale?