• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted Vinyl Please Help!

RyanFelty

Okay so here is what we are traying to do for this lady. She has an office that is ha one completely class wall exposed and she says she feels like a "fish in a bowl". She wants a vinyl that kind of has that frosted look that would can see through but barely. We are just running a 4' by about 11' strip across the glass and then doing just some straight cuts to leave some blank spots. Does anyone know of a vinyl like this that is not too hard to install and fairly economical???? Any input is great we are having a heck of a time. THANKS!

Drip Dry

Avery has etchlook
Don't mask it... Put it down wet.. use a rubber window squeegee from
your local hardware store. Don't panic, it's easy

Mosh

I use the Oracal stuff from Fellers all the time. There are several differents ones.
Apply wet and take your time on install, fingerprints show up and ANY dirt or dust.
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN is all I can say.

jhd

I use oracal as well and I do not use mask on panels, I agree, clean, clean, clean, install wet and you'll be just fine. Good Luck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Light will pass through, but she won't be able to see through it at all. Maybe big blurs.

It might be cheaper, just to instal some window blinds. :rolleyes:

btropical.com

I use the Oracal stuff from Fellers all the time. There are several differents ones.
Apply wet and take your time on install, fingerprints show up and ANY dirt or dust.
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN is all I can say.

Use surgical gloves when installing

TammieH

Use one of the frosted vinyls, 3M or Avery, they are more forgiving than the standard Etchmark from the same companies. Frosted Sparkle from Avery, Frosted Crystal from 3M. If you do have small defects in the application they are less noticeable.

Whereas Etchmark (Avery) and Dusted Crystal (3M) show every little defect from application.

Like others have said clean, clean, clean and don't be afraid

I haven't used other brands but I assume they are the same.

Good luck

petepaz

i use the mac-tac window frost BF (bubble free) just be carefull not to wrinkle it. i did a 3x5 window and got a couple of kinks as i was putting it up but luckily i was able to get them out with a little heat from the tourch and a felt squeegee.

Gman75

I use a 2-3 mil matte laminate. A lot cheaper then any frosted vinyl and works like a charm. You can also print on it looks great!

natedawg9640

Gman hit it on the nuts. that's what i'd do. not for every job like lettering and stuff... but for what OP is describing. the matte lam would seem the best option.

uranium

I use a 2-3 mil matte laminate. A lot cheaper then any frosted vinyl and works like a charm. You can also print on it looks great!

Wow, that's interesting. Could someone give a specific material recommendation? I don't have any real experience with laminate, thanks!