• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graffiti Remover for Window Graphics

We do a lot of Window Graphics using 40C with 8509 Laminate. With retail stores closing Entrances to stores, we are dealing with more and more graffiti. Does anyone have ideas on what to use to remove Graffiti without damaging the Laminate? We have tried using Anti-graffiti laminate in the past but don't like to use it as it is very brittle and creates alot of static when laminating. Any ideas on cleaner or the best anti graffiti laminate?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In california, you guys have outlawed just about everything. I would try baby shampoo on a wet wipe.

unclebun

After installation paint it with this: https://exteriorcoatings.com/product/vandlguardone-premium-anti-graffiti-coating/

Then if it gets painted:
GRAFFITI REMOVAL:
In many instances, non-abrasive household cleaners safely and effectively remove tagging. However, in the event tagging can’t be removed with these cleaners, then use Rainguard’s VANDLCLEAN SUPER GRAFFITI REMOVER for best results. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations and instructions for use. In addition, warm water power-washing has also been known to assist in the removal of tagging. Please refer to the manufacturer for additional assistance.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Tell the customer to try whatever they want. It's already ruined. Knowing that this is an ongoing problem, you did your customer a disservice by going away from the graffiti laminate all because you didn't like working with it. Bad move.

Tell the customer to try whatever they want. It's already ruined. Knowing that this is an ongoing problem, you did your customer a disservice by going away from the graffiti laminate all because you didn't like working with it. Bad m
Tell the customer to try whatever they want. It's already ruined. Knowing that this is an ongoing problem, you did your customer a disservice by going away from the graffiti laminate all because you didn't like working with it. Bad move.
We have been doing this for more than a decade without issue. This has only been an issue in the last couple of months. Thanks for your input but I am looking for solutions for cleaning and not for negative feedback.

unclebun

All the solvents that are used to take spray paint off will also take the vinyl off. Or at least dissolve it.

Notarealsignguy

You already gave yourself a solution, use anti graffiti laminate and I gave you a solution, start trying stuff. Mineral spirits, acetone, lacquer thinner, there isn't much to lose here. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I would assume that the sheen of 8509 is going to be an issue.

Notarealsignguy

All the solvents that are used to take spray paint off will also take the vinyl off. Or at least dissolve it.
If you get it under it. On the surface of gloss laminate, I've used acetone and lacquer thinner. Acetone has never screwed it up in my experience but lacquer thinner dulls it sometimes. Have also used non-chlorinated brake clean with no issues as long as there is laminate on it

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
We do a lot of Window Graphics using 40C with 8509 Laminate. With retail stores closing Entrances to stores, we are dealing with more and more graffiti. Does anyone have ideas on what to use to remove Graffiti without damaging the Laminate? We have tried using Anti-graffiti laminate in the past but don't like to use it as it is very brittle and creates alot of static when laminating. Any ideas on cleaner or the best anti graffiti laminate?
use Cooley Magic. works on any type of graffiti on any type of overlaminate. It was our trade secret until now. LOL

I tried Mineral Spirits seemed to work OK.

I found on amazon - Motsenbockers Lift Off - works good. Doesnt seem to affect the luster finish on the Laminate - its water based.

I have af ew others coming next week including the Cooley Magic. Gonna try all of them and see what works best.

Notarealsignguy

I tried Mineral Spirits seemed to work OK.

I found on amazon - Motsenbockers Lift Off - works good. Doesnt seem to affect the luster finish on the Laminate - its water based.

I have af ew others coming next week including the Cooley Magic. Gonna try all of them and see what works best.
The magic eraser is mentioned here quite a bit, might be worth a try. Be careful where you leave or trash the rags that are soaked in mineral spirits, it is not uncommon for them to spontaneously combust

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
Put the graphics on the inside of the windows. Glass is pretty easy to clean.
This is your best option, as someone who has been in the graffiti community, nothing is going to stop it, or they will come up with something else that will make a mark. But like Boudica said, inside of the glass. We do a lot of car show trophies, so we reverse print the graphics on clear vinyl, then add a layer of white vinyl behind it to give the graphics a backer, which helps the colors, the apply it to clear acrylic. And seeing the graphics through clear acrylic, or in your case the window, gives the effect of a little extra depth.

Agreed, we do a lot of Interior installs. There are times though that our Clients want the message to cover the whole window set including the Mullions. We alway try and lean toward the Interior because of Graffiti.