• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello From Vancouver BC

morty87

Hi Everyone, brand new to all of this wide printer community. I just picked up a Epson GS6000 printer with about 10 rolls of different media. Not sure what each use is for but with some reading on here I am hopeful I will figure it out without asking to many silly questions. :)

Anyways if anyone has any tips and tricks that would help a complete noob out I would be eternally grateful. I am just starting out and trying to assemble pieces to start doing car magnets and stickers although with all this canvas rolls...I may expand sooner than I thought.

I bought the printer with the black in not working but as i was doing some practice prints it seems like it has now started...fingers crossed I may have dodged the cost of a new print head.

Thanks for all help and am happy to have found this great resource.

Morty

ikarasu

Welcome from langley! The market out here is so flooded. Especially if you don't have a store front... Seems there's a sign printing business on every block these days.

Did you pickup a laminator also?

morty87

Welcome from langley! The market out here is so flooded. Especially if you don't have a store front... Seems there's a sign printing business on every block these days.

Did you pickup a laminator also?

Hello and thanks. I bought this out in your area but i am in Richmond. I'm looking for a cutter and may look at getting a laminating table...Still not 100% on that yet. I'm focusing more on car magnets.

ikarasu

A laminating table like the rolls roller is a bit overkill. If you're mounting a lot of signs, it may be worth it... but the price point is 4-5 times that of a roll to roll printer. And of course if you're only doing magnets and a couple small sheets of stickers, a roll to roll is a overkill also! You may be able to hop across the border and buy a hand roller.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Lamina...519846423&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+laminator&th=1 They all seem to be weird sized... Most media is 30 inch or 54, and their laminators come in 51 and 29.5.... for really small jobs, or even mountain some vinyl to magnets it'd be ok though.

Have you looked into the car magnet market? I'm presuming you're aiming for work trucks / etc? A lot of newer vehicles are made out of aluminum now... Which magnets won't stick to. I'm sure you already know that, but just putting it out there! I think in the couple years I've worked here, we've had 1 request and done 1 magnet for a vehicle. We don't exactly advertise we can do it, so there may be a market... But most people tend to want decals or wraps these days.

morty87

A laminating table like the rolls roller is a bit overkill. If you're mounting a lot of signs, it may be worth it... but the price point is 4-5 times that of a roll to roll printer. And of course if you're only doing magnets and a couple small sheets of stickers, a roll to roll is a overkill also! You may be able to hop across the border and buy a hand roller.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Laminator-Pressure-Sensitive-Machine/dp/B01NAB8DWH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519846423&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+laminator&th=1 They all seem to be weird sized... Most media is 30 inch or 54, and their laminators come in 51 and 29.5.... for really small jobs, or even mountain some vinyl to magnets it'd be ok though.

Have you looked into the car magnet market? I'm presuming you're aiming for work trucks / etc? A lot of newer vehicles are made out of aluminum now... Which magnets won't stick to. I'm sure you already know that, but just putting it out there! I think in the couple years I've worked here, we've had 1 request and done 1 magnet for a vehicle. We don't exactly advertise we can do it, so there may be a market... But most people tend to want decals or wraps these days.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Laminator-Pressure-Sensitive-Machine/dp/B01NAB8DWH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519846423&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+laminator&th=1 They all seem to be weird sized... Most media is 30 inch or 54, and their laminators come in 51 and 29.5.... for really small jobs, or even mountain some vinyl to magnets it'd be ok though.

Hello I appreciate your input. I have a website up an running an I have been doing 300 + magnets a week. They are a bit different an not work related. An I have a couple really big orders coming in and so it's what got me started looking for a wide format printer. I only went 64" because it was an amazing deal an they even threw in 3-4k in materials ie canvas, wall paper, vinyl etc. I'm
Just a 1 man show so it is why I was looking at the table figuring it b easier. But I know what u mean it is a alot of $$. Thanks for the hand crank idea I honestly never even though of that. May b a better way to go until I get things rolling. Pun intended

I appreciate the advice.

ikarasu

No worried! Thats pretty good. I'm presuming most of your stuff is national instead of local then? We've found shipping to be pretty expensive for most jobs. Large orders it's worth it, but most stuff it doesn't seem to be.

The hand crank is great for small jobs. Especially for the price. The table is easy presuming you're doing under 8 ft sheets. It is a great machine, we have one... it's really good for short run laminating, and sign mounting. But it takes up a ton of space, so unless you have a big shop... and can justify $15-20K Purchase on a laminator! A roll to roll works just as well.

Do you print directly to the magnets, or are you printing on vinyl and then applying the vinyl to the magnet?

If you're mainly focussed on magnets... I'd suggest grabbing a graphtec/summa ahead of a laminator. Then you can do custom shapes / etc, might be more geared towards the market you're in right now.

morty87

No worried! Thats pretty good. I'm presuming most of your stuff is national instead of local then? We've found shipping to be pretty expensive for most jobs. Large orders it's worth it, but most stuff it doesn't seem to be.

The hand crank is great for small jobs. Especially for the price. The table is easy presuming you're doing under 8 ft sheets. It is a great machine, we have one... it's really good for short run laminating, and sign mounting. But it takes up a ton of space, so unless you have a big shop... and can justify $15-20K Purchase on a laminator! A roll to roll works just as well.

Do you print directly to the magnets, or are you printing on vinyl and then applying the vinyl to the magnet?

If you're mainly focussed on magnets... I'd suggest grabbing a graphtec/summa ahead of a laminator. Then you can do custom shapes / etc, might be more geared towards the market you're in right now.

Yes thanks to you I am going to go the hand crank route to start. I currently have been using a cricut cutter but yes I will definitely b upgrading on that as well. I have been checking online a couple times a day to try an find a wider one, now that I have a big printer. Lol thanks again.

HERMAN

HERMAN
I have GS6000 too, been told that its been discontinued by October 2017, and dealers can't support with spare parts anymore.
How about in your country ?

morty87

Hello my gs6000 bt the dust. currently on back porch. I picked up a refurbished mutoh 1624...been nothing but headaches so far! :(

ikarasu

Hate to say it, but thats why you stay away from refurbs :(

You should have (Still can!) Buy a latex printer... Can get a 110 for around 10K. Probably cheaper than two refurbs that are giving you grief.

Or buy a floor model from a reputable place! Grimco, Ndgraphics, Allgraphicssupplies all sell floor models in great condition for a decent discount.