• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help- my 5500ps is dying... what to replace it with????

soundhound

My 5500ps wont initialize... something about printhead cleaner path. Will get tech here, but they are losing interest in it.

What are others buying to replace the 5500s?

I would like something similar, so I can continue doing what I am doing.

Any advice?

Thanks

Christian @ 2CT Media

What kind of work do you do?

If you want another pigment machine you can't go wrong with an HP Z Series, if you want to do more outdoor I'm a huge proponent of the Latex format. Wait for a 560 in August/sept

soundhound

I need my 5500!

I swap out every type of media, a lot of scrim banner, adhesive bond, poster paper, microporous, non-woven fabric. I print very long things and all from illustrator. I don't see any take up rolls on the new z-series. btw- what is an hp Carries?

Christian @ 2CT Media

I swap out every type of media, a lot of scrim banner, adhesive bond, poster paper, microporous, non-woven fabric. I print very long things and all from illustrator. I don't see any take up rolls on the new z-series. btw- what is an hp Carries?

Should have read Z-Series, sorry autocorrect. The Z-Series does have a take up option, is everything you do indoor?

soundhound

mostly indoor-

I have a laminator and do some short term outdoor stuff.
I am looking at the z series and do not see take up reels, and the z5400 for example, says it print up to 66" length (?)

Billct2

We replaced our 5000/5500s with HP z6100 and z6200. Both are very similar to the 5000s and have take up reels.
You can find them as refurbs with warranties or go with whatever the latest version of the z series is.
You may also consider the HP latex printers, much more versatile.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
My 5500ps wont initialize... something about printhead cleaner path. Will get tech here, but they are losing interest in it.

Any advice?

Thanks

I can get you a great used Z6200 60" for under $2k and those are great alternatives to the 5500's.

bilge

Any advice?

Thanks
It depends on your budget. DJ 5500 is very simple to repair and parts are dirt cheap now. You could do it by yourself. If you want to upgrade try to import D5800. I own one for 8 months, it designed for using 81 ink. But I use bulk ink, it slows down to 200 sqf/h. Even that speed we often use heatdrier/blower. Take-up is chinese, but it works far better than original 5500 TUR. It rolls up perfect, sometimes I confuse whether it is fresh roll or printed roll for lamination. You do almost same thing as I do, I've decreased my tariff since I got this unit, now I'm thinking to buy another one or OKI M64s. Z series are very good, but you can't use same media as your 5500.

bilge

I use the same materials in my z6100/6200 as I used in my 5000/5500

I assume you're using hi quality, OEM or HP certified materials. HP universal or everyday medias work for both printers. ie 81 ink 91 ink.
I use dye only 3rd party materials to D5800, pigment only materials to Z6100. Price difference is minimum x2. For example Q8916A doesn't work on my D5800. It is a pigment only photo gloss paper. All 3rd party materials for D5800 don't work my Z6100. I've tried every material for reducing my costs down on z6100.

You would get one D5800. If you interested I can send you the printer's report page. You could make your own calculation according to your market price. It's assembled in Malaysia, I think you can import either from Singapore or Malaysia.

soundhound

Thank-you all!!!!

The tech just left here and I now have a 5500 up and running! Lucky for me I had an old parts machine in storage... and it turned out that it was suitable for refurb using the ink tubes and "live" items from the freshly dead printer. Lucky too, I had just ordered a belt to have on hand.

So many thanks to everyone for all the great support I received here... it is nice to be able to bounce these AWFUL experiences off others who also must endure them... and it makes one feel so less alone.

Also, all of the advice I received was spot-on, so again I thank you all for the time and effort spent to help me cope.

John

Billct2

If that is your only machine I would seriously consider getting a newer (used or refurb) model. Parts are getting harder to find and the problems start getting closer together.
I know, I used up three 5000 series HPs and even though I got proficient at repairing them I found I made more money and had less stress with a newer printer.

soundhound

What did you get?

My tech says buy a canon ifp 8400 because nothing ever goes wrong? Others say get an hp, but my tech guy says the current hps are a real headache due to electrical issues. Sheesh... Glad to have a 5500 up & running!

CMYKprnt

We have an HP500PS that is just sitting in the back. We replaced with an Epson Surecolor and never went back to the 5500 - we would be interested in selling if you want another one. This is probably the least used HP5500PS - I purcahsed in 2006 and it was used off and on during that time. No more than two or three days a month. It does suffer some cosmetic damage from being moved from one office to the other in 2009. Never bothered to fix cause it never prevented us from printing.

bilge

My tech says buy a canon ifp 8400 because nothing ever goes wrong? Others say get an hp, but my tech guy says the current hps are a real headache due to electrical issues. Sheesh... Glad to have a 5500 up & running!

ipf 8400 is better color production than z series, but very expensive to run and your profit drops significantly. Nothing wrong with z series, but if you get one you will become just another guy around the corner. 2CT media already advised you to wait for the latest and greatest latex. If you want to keep what you're doing you'd better to have D5800. I think it's not for the US market, but if you will get this printer you'll have many advantages. It's exact same platform as Z6200 only 4 color dye printer. I already printed just over 100,000 sqf for 8 months. I don't know it's big or small amount comparing to your volume. I'm not your competitor nor a merchandiser. I've been in same situation as you recently. Attached some photos for your ref

Attachments

• various PH.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 118
  • printhead.pdf
    122.6 KB · Views: 85
  • printers.pdf
    132.8 KB · Views: 129
  • backlit.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 48x80.pdf
    209.1 KB · Views: 91