• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to get a trademark?

tintgirl2000

I have developed a line that I want to sell but first I need to apply for trademark (for clothing). Has anyone done this before? I googled it and found the website. Looks a little complicated. Just thought there might be someone out there that has been through it and could give me a little advice.

Locals Find!

are you wanting a standard trademark or a Registered Trademark. They are two entirely different things. You need to decided which one your asking for as the steps for each are lightyears apart.

tintgirl2000

HEHE...I knew I would have some remarks as soon as I saw my post:Oops:
Anyway I want to produce a lline of clothing, etc., and don't want to be copied. I need to look into the difference of registered versus non. Thanks for the first word of direction.

Locals Find!

A Registered Trademark is similar to the Term Realtor®
They own the word and can control how and where it can be used. Its also protected by international laws & treaties. So say someone in France can't start using the word for their product etc..

A regular non registered trademark is represented by the TM symbol. This is more of a Regional trademark showing that your are staking claim to the products name etc.. much more difficult to make your claim in court if someone attempts to use your idea. You would have to prove you were using it first and show strong evidence that you were the first to use it publicly.

If your really serious about protecting your products name and identity register the trademark. It will be well worth your investment.

The U.S. Trademark & patent office does a pretty good job of laying out the steps for you to follow. You could also hire an attorney who specializes in these matters if you really want to guarantee you don't screw up something.

thewvsignguy

Legal Zoom is the way to go, they did ours. It is a about a year long process but worth every penny and then some to keep people from stealing your idea.