• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 360 print problem with Orafol 3551 DT

Tim de Beir

Hi everyone, I am new here, and registered myself because I have some issues with Orafol vinyl.
Have a huge printjob +500sqmeters next week but problem with the vinyl, so here we go, perhaps anyone recognise my problem and could give usefull advise.

I use Orafol 3551 all the thimes but for a specific job, I needed vinyl that could be installed at temperatures like 0 degrees or lower. So I ended up with the Orafol 3551 DT (deep temperature)

I wanted to make an profile with my HP Latex 360 but when printing, it looks like the inks starts to boiling, so when coming out of my printer, you can see all little white sparkles, it's like the bubbles on champaign when the printer is printing...

I used the profile for the regular 3551 vinyl: 8 pass, 100% density, optimizer 12
I have allready changed optimizer onto 50 but then the colour of the printing changes a lot, and only small improvement in print quality!

Hereby some photos of the print problems

Attachments

• IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_5348.JPG
    IMG_5348.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 204

kanini

Seems as the 3551 DT is solvent/eco sol only, at least according to some brochures. But check with your supplier, if it's not latex compatible you have to live with print defects or change media or printer. Good luck!

Dan360

Does it look this way before it passes through the heat?

I've had similar results on some odd vinyls and ended up having to create a profile from scratch for them. You could try cleaning it with alcohol to see if the roll has some contaminants on it.

Also, our 360 doesn't seem to get a long with Orafol products, very few of them print without frequent issues.

Tim de Beir

Does it look this way before it passes through the heat?

I've had similar results on some odd vinyls and ended up having to create a profile from scratch for them. You could try cleaning it with alcohol to see if the roll has some contaminants on it.

Also, our 360 doesn't seem to get a long with Orafol products, very few of them print without frequent issues.

Tim de Beir

Hi Dan, yes it looks like this before passing the heaters... It is very strange because the 3551 GDT is normally the 3551G but with other adhesive... looks like it's not that simple...

So after some testing, best results at 12 pass, 120% density, but that means for me much more printing time, and ink, job is approx 400 sqm!!
But when dry print looks like it has orange peel surface ink...

Last edited:

kanini

Actually on the German datasheet they just specify solvent compatible but just looked on the English version they've included latex? Hmm...

Dan360

Hi Dan, yes it looks like this before passing the heaters... It is very strange because the 3551 GDT is normally the 3551G but with other adhesive... looks like it's not that simple...

It looks like the ink isn't laying down evenly. I would try a higher pass profile, if that doesn't, clean it and see what happens.