• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation code of conduct agreement?

Bengt Backhaus

I have had companies tell me to dress a certain way for installing their signs.
I tell them my sizes and ask them to provide appropriate clothes.

Either i never hear from them again, or they tell me "oh, it's not that important. Do it in your regular clothes"

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's my understanding that a business cannot require a 1099 contractor to wear specific clothing. My wife is staffing manager for a large catering company, and all of her part-time servers (she has dozens) have to be W-2 employees because they are required to wear black shirts, pants, and shoes when working events.
Then everyone in the construction industry would be w2. They tell you to wear safety boots, long pants, hard hat and high vis shirt. That doesn't make sense.

Signstein

I'm trying to envision what a polite middle finger looks like. Is it like when you scratch behind your ear with your middle finger?
sound-of-rock-read-between-the-lines.gif

visual800

this is absolutely getting out of hand. Like requiring the mask to be worn onsite Im not wearing your stupid mask and you can find another guy that will

unclebun

This is not a new thing. We have a large outlet mall across the street (which is nearly dead now). We have done a lot of work at these stores under contract to a large marketing/sign company which does all the stores for the company. Stores like Coach, Nike, Adidas, Polo, Reebok, and so on. Since the work usually was inside the store putting up marketing materials and display signs and often during business hours, there were always requirements for dress. They did not want you wearing clothing that advertised your own business. Typically they wanted plain solid color shirt, often a collared shirt. They did not allow any competitor logo clothing or shoes. So for the running shoe companies I either had to wear their brand shoe or something unadorned like brown boots. And since you are working inside their business as their contract employee by proxy, it is perfectly reasonable to require you to act appropriately.

The funny part is when customers come to you asking about products or where to find something.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, this has been requested of us and in turn I've requested people to do it for us.

Ya don't want a person representing your company to use foul or slur type language. No off-color jokes or just wasting time on the job jabbering about bullsh!t,
Had a guy show up once wearing a t shirt with naked girls all over the front and one mammoth one on the back. Do ya want that out there representing you ??

I totally understand the request.

The proper way to respond is not to argue with them, but let them know you already do follow those same rules and are quite professional in your own image or representing their company. Why act like a jackass over something so obvious ??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
This is a great thread. After reading the initial OP, I thought the request sounded ridiculous and overstepping with the dress code part, but after reading a lot of these responses I can understand it better.

First this, then cricket flour. It's been a good week.

gnubler

Their "codes of conduct" says nothing about tats & piercings. I could agree to it and then arrive all inked up (press on tattoos), especially on the neck and face, and a bull ring in my nose. As long as I'm wearing khaki slacks it should be fine.

BigNate

It's my understanding that a business cannot require a 1099 contractor to wear specific clothing. My wife is staffing manager for a large catering company, and all of her part-time servers (she has dozens) have to be W-2 employees because they are required to wear black shirts, pants, and shoes when working events.
If you have an independent contractor who you 1099 and they do not want to follow your companies policies or dress code - simple solution, no more 1099s for that contractor..... just as you are not legally required to accept the contract, they are not legally obligated to issue a contract. "My House, My Rules" tends to apply to a lot of these situations. (actual employees are different... and if a company is trying to shunt paying taxes by 1099 people who should be employees, that is a different situation entirely.)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
this is absolutely getting out of hand. Like requiring the mask to be worn onsite Im not wearing your stupid mask and you can find another guy that will
No it isn't. People being slobs, rude, acting inappropriate, not following safety etiquette is what's out of control. Following other's rules on their property is basic respect and should not have to be spelled out.
This mask shit is retarded, just wear the fucking thing and get over it. Do you have a tantrum when a place requires safety glasses? They made the rule for a reason, could be insurance, could be OSHA, could be a request from their employees or it could just be for the enjoyment of watching a grown man have a mental breakdown over something that no normal person would really care about. Either way, they made the rule and don't want your input.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Their "codes of conduct" says nothing about tats & piercings. I could agree to it and then arrive all inked up (press on tattoos), especially on the neck and face, and a bull ring in my nose. As long as I'm wearing khaki slacks it should be fine.
It should.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Watch it... those are the kind of girls I go after. Bonus points if they are cargo pants.

ProSignTN

I do quite a bit of work in schools and act accordingly. If I'm on a job site where dirt work, concrete, electrical and plumbing are still in progress, I act accordingly.

Had an HVAC guy meet me for a quote on new unit at my mom's house. He texted while eating lunch at Hardee's and said he'd be there in 20 minutes. Walks in the house, ask to use the bathroom and proceeded to take a giant shit in the utility bathroom. His quote was not accepted and he still owes us a half a can of Lysol.

Jean Shimp

I try to remember to ask for the "Vendor Qualification Packet and Contract sample" BEFORE I quote a job. In the past I have gotten stuck filling out time-consuming paperwork to submit in order to get paid. And now all kinds of forms, NDA (non-disclosure agreement), references, bank info, etc are being required. It is not farfetched to realize that the time spent meeting all these qualifications can exceed the profitability of the job. Jobs under $10,000 should be done through a simple Purchase Order. And while I am ranting, I also want to add that I don't agree with the clause in the subcontracts saying I won't get paid until the prime contractor gets paid! We got strung out for many months waiting on payment from a builder.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I was contacted by a third party vendor about installing some ADA signs in a nearby town. Specs provided, it looks easy so I agreed to the job. Budget was reasonable. They send back a slew of paperwork for me to fill out. The usual W9, proof of insurance, etc...plus a multi-page "vendor packet" and a corporate code of conduct, which lists items such as requesting that I behave respectfully, don't joke or banter with employees on site, and what style/color of clothing to wear.

Is this typical and is everyone complying with this? I'm about to tell them to shove it. Way too much work for such a small project (<$500)
This took me a bit to wrap my brain around.
It's the third party vendor that sent over the packet?