• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a way to make the HP L300 Series print all the way to the end of a roll?

derekw13029

So I've noticed that our Latex 330 cuts off prints with a various amount of material left. When the roll detaches from the core, the printer notices and an alert comes up. But after that, I'm not sure exactly where the printer decides to stop printing. Sometimes it seems like there's about 1 foot left of material, sometimes it's closer to 3 feet.

I'm printing a job now where I may need every inch of my available roll (yeah, I like to live dangerously....) and I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to make the printer feed every inch of the roll and print on it? Thanks.

There is a media sensor in the paper path, located roughly below the print zone. It will trip when there is around 12-18 inches remaining on the roll. After the paper sensor trips, you cannot print. Sometimes people trick the sensor in various ways (use caution if you try this).

You may get an advisory message before that (81:xx) that detects that the media is not attached to the core, but you can continue to print after acknowledging that message.

klmjff

What we do is when it gets close to the end of the roll, we gently pull the paper off the core while its printing and tape some kraft paper to the end, so it tricks the machine into thinking theres more paper there. You have to make sure you tape it straight and kink free to feed thru without jamming.
What sucks though is sometimes the paper is stuck with glue to the roll, so you have to use goo gone to get that crap off and it leaves a stain sometimes.

Good luck!

derekw13029

What we do is when it gets close to the end of the roll, we gently pull the paper off the core while its printing and tape some kraft paper to the end, so it tricks the machine into thinking theres more paper there. You have to make sure you tape it straight and kink free to feed thru without jamming.
What sucks though is sometimes the paper is stuck with glue to the roll, so you have to use goo gone to get that crap off and it leaves a stain sometimes.

Good luck!

Yeah, that was my thinking, good to know someone has at least attempted it and got it to work. I would imagine you place the tape on the *under* side of the material, so that the tape doesn't risk getting stuck, or do you sandwich the two materials together with tape on both sides? I have used a similar technique to feed fabrics and other really soft materials into the printer, so I know such a thing is possible, but I really want to avoid any possible jam. Thanks for all the help, guys!

klmjff

We put the tape on the backside. When that section gets to the end of the last turn and is getting close to the printing area, that's about all the space you have to work with. You want to stop it before it gets close to the printhead area.

derekw13029

Okay, thanks! I've got the take up reel working, so space to work in there is a little limited, but I think I'm going to have to try it. Here goes nothing!

EDIT: My material is 54'' wide, but I'm going to try and tape something that is only 36". Would it be easier to use something that matches the width?

Is the sensor located in the center of the printer, or closer to the right side?

EDIT Again: Well, my roll must have had a little bit more than I thought, because I had a foot or so left on the roll without having to "James Bond" it (that's what I always call something that comes down to the wire).

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have to use this technique in the future.

NormanL

reroll material onto another core and attach a tail with some offcuts put tape on both sides at the join, always works but make sure there is no kinks or it may get stuck.