• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jagged Edges on Vector Artwork

303DC

Am I going crazy and just haven't done a really large print in a while, or is it not normal for Flexi to display vector artwork with somewhat jagged edges? I've loaded a few different vector files, and they all are behaving the same exact way, even unmasked (though I don't think this would matter). I've seen this on AI, EPS, and PDF. Graphics card issue, maybe? Smooth screen display is enabled, by the way.

Am I going crazy and just haven't done a really large print in a while, or is it not normal for Flexi to display vector artwork with somewhat jagged edges? I've loaded a few different vector files, and they all are behaving the same exact way, even unmasked (though I don't think this would matter). I've seen this on AI, EPS, and PDF. Graphics card issue, maybe? Smooth screen display is enabled, by the way.

Is the issue in Production manager or in Flexi Design space? You may need to reinstall.

Or is this your issue?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 309

303DC

This is in design space. I never pay much attention to image quality in production manager, that's always crappy quality. Here's a sample. For what it's worth, I just opened the vector artwork in Photoshop to size at 100dpi, and it looked great at 100%. Saved it as a JPG, opened in Flexi, and it still had the similar pixelated look. Here's a sample of that JPG along with the actual vector PDF, both showing the issue I'm seeing. This is a huge 50"x25' print, so I can't really just pull the trigger and hope for the best.

WOqwwd1.png

Attachments

• pixelating-issue.jpg
    pixelating-issue.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 120

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
This might be a dumb question, but is the vector straight? Because in the sample you just showed, it has the same jagged-ness as the JPG file. Can you show a wireframe of the vector art?

This is in design space. I never pay much attention to image quality in production manager, that's always crappy quality. Here's a sample. For what it's worth, I just opened the vector artwork in Photoshop to size at 100dpi, and it looked great at 100%. Saved it as a JPG, opened in Flexi, and it still had the similar pixelated look. Here's a sample of that JPG along with the actual vector PDF, both showing the issue I'm seeing. This is a huge 50"x25' print, so I can't really just pull the trigger and hope for the best.

WOqwwd1.png

If it's vector still then it should print fine. YOu can always send the whole file and then just print one 54" x6" section to print. That way the area with issues is getting printed without printing the whole thing. I would try that see. If you have a vector in illustrator and save as .jpg it's going to be pixelated to some degree depending on your rasterize settings. You can't have vector artwork in a .jpg When you save a vector as jpg in illustrator it automatically rasterizes everything.

303DC

Hence my confusion. I think this is just how Flexi is rendering the lines on my screen. Here is the JPG to-size in Photoshop which was upscaled from the .ai artwork. Perfectly smooth. This is the same exact file as shown on the top sample in the previous image. I don't know what you mean by "is it straight"? As in, is the artwork itself straight? No, it's at an angle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• kJSfRTk.png
    kJSfRTk.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 289

J Hill Designs

Hence my confusion. I think this is just how Flexi is rendering the lines on my screen. Here is the JPG to-size in Photoshop which was upscaled from the .ai artwork. Perfectly smooth. This is the same exact file as shown on the top sample in the previous image.

kJSfRTk.png

show a screenshot of the vector file in flexi in wireframe mode

...and upload images as attachments here, don't hotlink

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Hence my confusion. I think this is just how Flexi is rendering the lines on my screen. Here is the JPG to-size in Photoshop which was upscaled from the .ai artwork. Perfectly smooth. This is the same exact file as shown on the top sample in the previous image. I don't know what you mean by "is it straight"? As in, is the artwork itself straight? No, it's at an angle.

Then run a test print and see what prints instead of the 25ft job.

303DC

If it's vector still then it should print fine. YOu can always send the whole file and then just print one 54" x6" section to print. That way the area with issues is getting printed without printing the whole thing. I would try that see. If you have a vector in illustrator and save as .jpg it's going to be pixelated to some degree depending on your rasterize settings. You can't have vector artwork in a .jpg When you save a vector as jpg in illustrator it automatically rasterizes everything.
Correct, it will no longer be vector as a jpg, I understand that. HOWEVER, you CAN import the artwork to Photoshop TO SIZE, and save it as a JPG without losing quality... technically. Good idea on printing a 54"x6" or something along those lines. I'll give that a shot to test. Thanks for that idea!

303DC

show a screenshot of the vector file in flexi in wireframe mode

...and upload images as attachments here, don't hotlink
Uploading the images was compressing them horribly and not allowing me to show what it actually looked like. There's a lot of masks to this artwork, but here's the same section in wireframe mode.

attachment.php

Attachments

• JUah4KK.jpg
    JUah4KK.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 301

myront

CorelDRAW is best
You need to verify it is in fact Vector and not Raster.
When you see these file extensions jpg, tif. psd, png, bmp and many others they will without a doubt be raster. ai, cdr, eps, pdf and others can be vector or raster. No way to tell unless placing into illy or corel first.

303DC

You need to verify it is in fact Vector and not Raster.
When you see these file extensions jpg, tif. psd, png, bmp and many others they will without a doubt be raster. ai, cdr, eps, pdf and others can be vector or raster. No way to tell unless placing into illy or corel first.
You are misunderstanding. I know without a DOUBT the artwork I've said was vector (not including the JPG, obviously) WAS IN FACT VECTOR. I created this artwork. I PROMISE you, this stuff is vector artwork created in Illustrator. .ai, .eps, .pdf all produce the same results. A JPG file I created in Photoshop by upscaling the vector artwork to size and saving as a JPG looks perfect in Photoshop, but jagged in Flexi.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
This is normal....you'd need a 4K monitor to lose the jaggedness.
Draw a line in Flexi, and change the angle of it several times. You will see the jagged sections change depending on the angle.

303DC

This is normal....you'd need a 4K monitor to lose the jaggedness.
Draw a line in Flexi, and change the angle of it several times. You will see the jagged sections change depending on the angle.
As funny as it is, I never thought to do that. Thanks a bunch, sir!