• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination problem

JohnShea

Hey there.

I'm trying to do my business neighbor a favor by printing and lam'ing his reflective vinyl. This vinyl is EXPENSIVE! I have four tailgate pieces to do (reflective chevron). I have a GFP laminator and it's fairly new (1 year and moderate use). Some pieces come out fine and some I get a long air bubble every 3-5 inches. I'm using heat (2.5 on the dial). It looks like Silvering, and some are definitely really wide bubbles; ruining this man's vinyl.

I run it with the foot pedal and pretty slow ... about 2 or 3 on the dial. The top roller is tight to the bottom roller. The film doesn't appear to be walking and I don't get any wrinkles. When I take it off the reel and lay it out, all I see are the visible lines.

Suggestions on how to fix? I'm wasting too much of this expensive reflective vinyl.

The attached picture may be difficult to see the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Looks like it's not going through straight? Don't over tighten the roller either and you really don't need heat. That's not silvering.

JohnShea

Looks like it's not going through straight? Don't over tighten the roller either and you really don't need heat. That's not silvering.
I don't really know what Silvering is. I guess that's obvious. lol

It is going in straight, believe it or not. Perhaps I'm over tightening it? I didn't have this problem with smaller sheet pieces (no roll).

With heat, I found it lays down smoother... until now. (Another question would be... what's the point of the heat option?)

THANK YOU!

Notarealsignguy

So roll fed laminate does it but individual sheets don't? I'd definitely look at misalignment when you're setting it up. The heat could be compensating for it by stretching the laminate. If that's the case, you don't really want that.
I only use the weight of the roller, no extra tension.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I don't really know what Silvering is. I guess that's obvious. lol
you know how if you get a dust speck there's a spot around it where the laminate isn't stuck down and it makes a little pocket? Silvering kinda looks like that but without the speck in the middle. It's just an area where the adhesive hasn't fully "wetted out" adhering to the surface below. It usually goes away on it's own overnight.

JohnShea

you know how if you get a dust speck there's a spot around it where the laminate isn't stuck down and it makes a little pocket? Silvering kinda looks like that but without the speck in the middle. It's just an area where the adhesive hasn't fully "wetted out" adhering to the surface below. It usually goes away on it's own overnight.
Gotcha. Thanks!

cmoist

Are you feeding off the rolls, or are you just running sheets through? I find it much harder to run sheets through than by using rolls. You don't get the proper tension on the vinyl and laminate, which causes things like that to happen, in my experience.

All that said, that looks much too uniform of a pattern, which points to flat spots on the roller or creases in the substrate or laminate. Was the laminate or vinyl rolled up and not on a core?

Notarealsignguy

It's not the roller, its operator error. When I first did roll to roll I got the exact same thing, lines of air and random small bubbles. It's been too long to remember but it was either how I loaded or it was from cranking down on the roller. Doing it sheet by sheet wastes too much time. If you take your time loading it all straight, you can laminate a miles worth of material with no issue, even with the crappiest of machines.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Less is more when laminating.
Use the least amount of tension on the lam feed and liner take up that you can, just enough to keep it from having slack, and not a lot of roller pressure. What happens is if you have too much tension on the lam, it'll stretch the lam, then let some go over and over and cause those lines. Everything has too run smooth and steady, too much pressure or tension is your enemy. Heat will help set the adhesive on cold lam and reduce silvering, but it doesn't really take a lot, if yours adjusts, set it low.

guillermo

is this encapsulating (hot lamination) or it is just cold lamination?
check for rollers if there is a flat area, (when not in use, leave the rollers open, to prevent becoming flat)