• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator bubbles vinyl when laying on ACP

Windcalmer

The Branding Experts
I have a FMJ-1600II laminator that I have been using for 6 years now and I am having an issue recently. I use it to lay 4x8 sheets and 4x10 sheets. I use 3m IJ35c-20 with 8520 over-laminate for most jobs. The issue has been that the last 5 or so signs I have run through have come out perfect on one side and full of bubbles on the other. This laminator has two dials on either side to set the height. I have tried my best to get them exactly in sync with each other, but something is still going sideways.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is the roller too tight on the bubbles side? I know that it is not an issue of the roller not touching the vinyl and ACP as I can see that it is. It just comes out full of bubbles.

((I feel like an idiot posting here because after almost 15 years doing this I am totally at a loss here.))

Signarama Jockey

Bubbles to me sounds like more material on the bubble side (like Queen sized sheets on a Twin sized bed).

I could be wrong, but you could loosen the top a little and tighten the bottom a little and give it another test.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I've never heard of that laminator, but if you are doing the same thing you've always done, then maybe look at the supply shafts? Maybe something is wrong where the laminate is feeding from?

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I've had problems occur when substrate was out of spec. Alternatively, do you rearrange the work space fopr differend productions - could the laminator be in a position where it is out of level?

Windcalmer

The Branding Experts
The substrate isn't bowed from what I can tell. I have checked each of the jobs as they come off and look good and straight.

Windcalmer

The Branding Experts
I've had problems occur when substrate was out of spec. Alternatively, do you rearrange the work space fopr differend productions - could the laminator be in a position where it is out of level?
That is a great point. I have moved it around. I will check that first thing tomorrow.