• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lanham act

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
So, i have a client who has a company. for identity purposes, i am going to change the words abit. She is being accused of violating the lanham act for logo infringement.

My client started a company called cupcakemary. They makes cupcakes shaped like a "m". they are really good. highly recommended.

She receives a letter in the mail from a large corporate franchise called "cupcake". They feel threatened that this is a clear violation since you are using the term "cupcake" in your name. this also includes the website, "www.cupcakemary.com"

You are ordered to change this immediately. as the letter states.

thoughts, signmakers?

-mosher

letterman7

Unless said large company has actually copywritten the word "cupcake" as an "M" logo, I'd tell them to pound sand. Pretty difficult to enforce a word as a logo, but it's been done before with large enough pockets.

rjssigns

Tell her to have an attorney look at it. The little bit it will cost to have a lawyer draft a letter will be well worth it.

Can't use the word cupcake...? Betty Crocker is in trouble.:rolleyes:

Z SIGNS

Sounds like BS to me.
It would be like one sign company suing another because they used the word signs in their logo.

Kottwitz-Graphics

So your client can't name their business cupcake mary, because some other outfit has copyrighted "cupcake"?

They may be onto something...I'm going to copyright both words "Signs" and "Graphics", and tell all you other guys that since "own" those two words, you have to change your business name....

I wouldn't worry about it...in fact, I'd probably tell them to go pack sand...

T_K

If she doesn't have money for a good lawyer, and they do, she could be in trouble if it comes to an actual lawsuit.

I would hope any good judge would acknowledge that this is not an infringement, but you never know how those will actually turn out.

Definitely advise her to get some good legal counsel on this, as it can save a lot of money in the future.

And just so you know, I'm copyrighting the Latin alphabet. So any use of these characters will be subject to a lawsuit. :rolleyes:

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Her lawyer replied with,

"i looked into this firm. they are really big and powerful. you might not wanna **** them off" Just change your name to "cupmarycake"

my eyes just rolled to the dark side of the moon.

-mosher

ams

I am very familiar with the lanham act and it's more pointed to the direction that no State, Government or Local entity can alter or change a copyright logo or trademark.
Having cupcake in the name isn't a violation, they are hoping they will back down to get rid of competition.

There is Hamburger Mary's and The Hamburger Wagon, neither are in violation. Same goes for Burger Club, Burger Fuel, Burger Heaven, Burger King and Burger Machine.

However Cupcake and Cupcake's would be a violation. So I suggest they fight it or talk to an attorney about it. But also it's not just the name but the product as well.
If Cupcake was using an M pattern or something close like an N or some letter or if Cupcake Mary was making products that closely resembled Cupcake, then that is a violation.

However it sounds like they are safe.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Change the C to a K so it would foil the cease & desist and be new and trendy at the same time.

wayne k
guam usa

player

Is this the sort of legal bullying that to defend yourself in court it will cost $80k+ with no guaranty of winning. If you don't defend yourself you will lose by default and they can get ridiculous damages?

SignosaurusRex

30 minutes of consultation with a reputable "Intellectual Property" attorney can cut to the chase on this one. Copyrights and Trademarks are entirely two separate beasts to be dealt with, and can overlap each other. Your description of the facts can be 'muddied water' simply by your altering of the name(s).

ProPDF

Talk to at least 3 lawyers in this field. Go Pro tried the same thing with a lot of companies and domain holders prior to going public.

CanuckSigns

My advise would be to completely ignore it, I'm betting that they are just trying to scare her into submission. As someone else said, if they do own the copyright on the word "cupcake" than every bakery in the country should be getting a letter!

At the end of the day, they have managed to find an unscrupulous lawyer who is willing to take their money and lead them on a wild goose chase that they have no chance of winning.

Ignore and and go about your normal business until an official legal document says otherwise.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
A quick look at TESS.
attachment.php
attachment.php

You can see on the phase CUPCAKE, it was abandoned on July 4, 2016, with a new one registered June 28, 2016.

Attachments

• cupcake.JPG
    cupcake.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 105
  • cupcake2.jpg
    cupcake2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 93

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Send me a dozen chocolate with browned butter icing and I'll give ya my advice. :wink:

I'm no lawyer, but I can't tell ya how many signs we've made over the years with the name being cupcake something or another. This stuff happens and someone finds a loophole to go after local competition. I'd just send them a letter stating that you intend to keep on keepin' on and until they wanna buy your name...... They can just play second fiddle to my cupcakes.

Tell Mr & Mrs Cupcake to go sift some flour. I'll betcha the other company's are box type and your customer's is from scratch. That's the difference.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
from this site #1

http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/TrademarksvsGenericTermsFactSheet.aspx

Generic terms are common words or terms, often found in the dictionary, that identify products and services and are not specific to any particular source. It is not possible to register as a trademark a term that is generic for the goods and/or services identified in the application. If a trademark becomes generic, often as a result of improper use, rights in the mark may no longer be enforceable.

T_K

Her lawyer replied with,

"i looked into this firm. they are really big and powerful. you might not wanna **** them off" Just change your name to "cupmarycake"

I'd be getting myself a new lawyer. If he/she is not up to the task, I'll take my money elsewhere.

TXFB.INS

I'd be getting myself a new lawyer. If he/she is not up to the task, I'll take my money elsewhere.

yeah, I'd be looking for a new lawyer.

personally I would ignore this letter, it is coming from a company and not a law firm so they are trying to bluff her.

having been through an official copyright cease and desist issue before, it comes as registered mail from the law firm representing the company.
The law firm also included variations that they would accept and they will require the new design be sent for review.

signbrad

Regarding Mosher’s question: This is not a copyright issue. Under US law, names cannot receive copyright protection. Not just names, but words and phrases, titles, slogans, familiar symbols and designs—none of these qualify for copyright. Most logos don't qualify for copyright protection—only if they meet certain requirements do they qualify.

But copyright protection is usually not really an issue for businesses anyway. Trademark protection, on the other hand, is not nearly so narrow. It’s trademark law that protects things like logos and product names. It's true, as Vector Doctor said, common terms do not generally qualify for trademark protection—like pizza or cupcake. But the name Pizza Hut is protected. Cupcake Mary could have trademark protection, too. It may not show up in a search of the USPAT data base, but it could be registered at a state level. Each state has its own trademark laws. Beyond that are also laws regarding unfair competition that are based in part on common law. A trademark search is something that many companies do before they invest heavily in a name or logo. There are services, and many lawyers, that do trademark searches.

Many things can be protected by trademark: The most popular marks are words, like Photoshop, WordPerfect, Quicken. Letters, initials, can be protected, such as CNN and ESPN. Numbers: 20/20 (TV show) or U2 (the band). Domain names, like amazon.com. Symbols, such as the Chevy bow tie and the five-sided star of Chrysler. The McDonald’s arches are protected. Some protected trademarks are very simple: the Nike swoosh, the Bass Ale red triangle. A photograph can be the basis for a protected trademark, though it’s not common. The Michael Jordan ‘jump man’ silhouette owned by Nike is an example.
Colors can be protected: T-Mobile and Owens Corning each have protection for two different shades of pink. Sounds can have trademark protection, like the NBC chime. Even scents. There is almost no limit to what can be protected by trademark.

Copyright

Copyright and trademark serve different purposes. Copyright law gives the original creator of a work a monopoly over its use during his or her lifetime (plus 70 years). This way only a photographer has the right, for example, to print T-shirts that have a photo he created. If you design a font, only you have the right to make copies of the file. Only the original writer has the right to make a stage adaptation of his novel.
A musician can own copyright protection for both lyrics and music, and a further copyright for a unique arrangement (I don't really know how that works). Songwriters and musicians get royalty payments from organizations like BMI and ASCAP that do the collecting for them. When a bar pays their royalty fees every month, a small percentage of that makes its way back to the musicians that own the songs. My friend Karen is a musician/songwriter here in Kansas City. She plays at various venues and she gets a little royalty check every month for all the times her music is played. Who plays her songs? Mostly she does. So she get paid for gigs AND royalties for playing her own music. It's a small check for the royalties, but she's glad to get it.

Trademark

Trademark protection serves a different purpose. It is mainly to prevent confusion in the marketplace. A trademark is intended to differentiate the goods or services of one company from another. If two businesses are trying to attract the same consumers, each will try to develop a loyal following using trademarks, logos and other things that make up branding. If a company is very successful at this, its logos and trademarks can become valuable assets. Some trademarks are worth billions of dollars (the Coca-Cola logo). So it’s in the best interests of a company to work hard at protecting its trademarks from infringement.
This makes sense, because if a company has worked hard to develop a valuable trademark, others don’t have the right to profit from the mark—because they didn’t do the work.

Of course, as with so many things, the law favors those with money. Big companies can afford to go after small infringers. But for the average small business the cost of litigating against someone bigger is way too high.

Brad

visual800

bully tactic. If you register your copany name it should pop up if another has already done it.

as far her being contacted, was the letter she recieved sent certified mail? if not take a picture of her shooting a bird and send that back to them. Or just dont respond.