• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question New Mimaki CJV150 versus Roland DGA Tru-VIS LG UV Printer & Cutter

SignProAbilene

I am helping the owner of a small shop decide on purchasing a new Mimiki CJV150 (on sale) and one of the new Roland DGA Tru-VIS LG UV. I know the prices are significantly different and the Roland is much more sophisticated than the Mimaki. We will probably not need the feature set of the Roland, and we are currently using a very old Mimaki CJV30-130 that served us well but is in need of significant repair.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Did you also look at the Mimaki UCJV series to compare with the Roland UV? That would be more comparable.

I can tell you as a tech who's been around for a while, the CJV150 is one of those machines that has the kinks worked out and has proven itself as a decently reliable machine. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion. It's a greatly improved version of the CJV30. Also, if you plan on working on it yourself at any point, the Mimaki also wins that point as you can still get into service mode and on the Roland it's impossible to a big hassle to get into service mode without a paid tech present. I definitely hear more people complaining about the TruVis series. That all being said, a bunch of people will now post how they love their TruVis below which is why it's hard to evaluate which machine to get sometimes.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If you do your own repairs, check to see if that particular Roland model has the service mode locked out. Should be a part of your decision making.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
On certain newer models of printers, Roland has locked end users out of service mode, which could be called technician mode. It allows access to a great deal of technical adjustments not available in the user menu. Only certified technicians logged into Roland and connected to the printer can access service mode on a lot of the newer printers. It means if you need to have certain alignments done, or parts, such as a printhead, replaced, you are forced to call the dealer for repairs or alignments. If you never do your own repairs, it's a moot issue. If you do your own repairs, it's something to consider. This isn't a negative observation about Roland printers, which are very good printers, but an observation about Roland's policy.